Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

How do DC AC power inverters create 50 hz?

I saw like 5 IC's inside my 400 watt power inverter is that how?

Why would you possibly need IC's in an inverter?

What should I never run off a power inverter to avoid risk of damage to appliance?

What is the 40 amp fuse in the back of it for? Is it in case their is a fault so I dint get killed?

PS It takes DC 12v to AC 117-126v.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The ICs are for functions like this:

-Switching power supply control (main IC)

-Power transistors for the actual switching power supply work

-Input-side voltage regulation, as needed

-(Possibly) voltage feedback photocoupler

-...etc..

You will typically find a large fuse on the input side of a step-up inverter (which is what you have) because mathematically we must supply a larger amount of current (at low voltage) to supply an equal amount of power to the output side (high voltage, lower current).

The fuse is to protect the switching power supply and supporting circuitry.

You have to remember that unless you have an expensive "true sine wave" inverter, it's not actually a sine wave but just high/low pulses used to average out to what an AC load would get & use.

The problem is that the output is not a real sine wave, so many devices don't like it, can't work right, and it's bad in some cases for the load (as the other posters said).

(That's one reason you see a lot of complaints about people having electronics that won't work right with "AC inverters")

Unfortunately a large number of inverters are of very low quality and questionable reliability, at best!

Source(s): I've designed a few inverting power supplies, used a few low-cost DC-AC inverters to get 12V-260V for a car vaccum tube audio project. :-)
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The 40 Amp fuse will be for the input current which will be fairly high in comparison to the current coming out of the inverter. It's there to protect the machine, not you. You are more likely to get killed by the Voltage coming out of the machine than the Voltage or current going in. It only takes 0.1 Amps to kill you but it takes a reasonably high Voltage to push that kind of current through through a Human body - that's why they use about 20,000 Volts in an electric chair. In an inverter one of the things that happens is you trade current for Voltage so leaving aside losses etc. if you double the Voltage with an inverter or transformer you halve the current. In your machine you are increasing your Voltage by a factor of 10 so your output current will roughly be 10% of the input current. The IC's are probably for generating a sinusoidal waveform of 50 or 60 Hz which is then used to switch the output Voltage from +120 Volts through 0 to -120 Volts 50 0r 60 times per second, i.e., 50 or 60 Hertz (Hz). You only need small electronics to control the system & the control effect is then amplified & applied to the switching transistors or "thyristors". The reason you're not supposed to power appliances using an inverter is that the output alternating current (AC) can be "rough" rather than smooth & some electronics aren't up to dealing with that kind of supply. These days most inverter outputs are better filtered & supplying electronics isn't such a problem. A computer UPS contains an inverter & is a good example.

• 1 decade ago

An inverter is essentially an oscillator that converts DC from the battery into a sine wave or modified sine wave at the desired frequency. Then a transformer steps the voltage up to the desired voltage.

Not sure what the ICs are for. Most likely they are part of the oscillator and wave shaping circuitry. You should also see some SCRs and other heavier components in there. It is usually not a good idea to run appliances with AC motors in them off the inverter. If it's a modified sine wave, it can cog the motor to death. If it's a pure sine wave device, there is nothing within the current rating that you can't run.

The fuses are to protect the circuitry. A 40 amp fuse in a device that small is probably in the battery circuit and it protects the unit from an overvoltage from the battery.

Source(s): old scientist
  • 4 years ago

170W PMP, RMS? there's a huge difference between the two. maximum promoting for amplifiers and audio device record the top mean potential output (PMPO) because of the fact curiously greater desirable whilst in fact it in basic terms identifies the max potential potential for short sessions of time. 170W Root mean sq. (RMS) is a lot greater in a position than 170W PMP. regrettably your inverter is actual imparting 125V yet your battery and alternator device in all probability isn't able to imparting the present requirement, whether bass hum many times describes speaker overdrive. it incredibly is sort of complicated to examine without being there with some attempt kit. So i'm guessing that your stereo is rated at 200W PMPO and makes use of 170W to maintain a maximum potential out. utilising I = P/V = one hundred seventy/one hundred twenty five = a million.36 amps that's a coarse calculation of the popular draw of present day out of your invertor. what's the inverter present day score. whether that's below this then you definitely've your difficulty. Your invertor won't be able to help your stereo. Now, even pondering PMP, RMS and the figures you have provided on your audio device it incredibly is unlikely you're overdriving the audio device. very final diagnosis, your inverter or in all probability alternator/battery can no longer hack it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.