Kendra
Kendra asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

RMHs can trot and gait undersaddle, right?

I just heard rmh's can't trot under saddle. Is that true? Do they only gait, or can they do both?

Ok. Because I want to buy a rmh and show in breed shows, but I also want to do some local dressage shows and stuff, where the horse would need to be able to trot.

• Mandy
    Favorite Answer

I don't know much about RMHs, but pretty much any gaited horse can be trained to trot AND gait. I've known two RMHs and they could both trot and gait on cue.

• I have 5 horses all a gaited breed. And everyone can and will trot if I ask them too. The way I do this is to never let a gaited horse trot until the age 5, I want those muscles to develop and trotting is a lazy way, if they can they will. Be firm and have cues. Good luck with your RMH we love ours.

It's more desirable for a gaited horse to gait under saddle, but they can do both.

I wouldn't ask my gaited horses to trot. With my racking horses, I want them to have a bit of speed when they hit a lick. If the horse has been allowed to trot under saddle, he'll usually break gait before getting speed on his rack.

You can do both - I just wouldn't. We prefer our gaited horses to gait under saddle, and a horse that breaks gait often is usually sold for around $300.

Hope this helps.

That horse is oftentimes surely doing a Fox Trot that's a gait while the horse sounds like its trotting on one end mutually as strolling on the different. that's maximum many times seen on the Missouri Foxtrotter (duh to the call) yet is additionally seen on another American bred gaited horses besides. i've got seen it on the Tennessee Walker some situations and a Kentucky Mountain as quickly as. in my view, i in my view do no longer purely like the gait XD yet it is purely my opinion.

• Julia

They can trot, but they will normally gait unless asked/trained to trot.

• charm

Why not get a foxtrotter? Most will hard trot if moved forward quickly enough.

no