External Hard drive for MacBook Pro?

I got a MacBook Pro in August. I have a lot of music and do not want it to take up all the memory on my laptop. If I got an external hard drive, would I be able to save all my music to that, and still have iTunes play it? Would I always have to have the external hard drive with me to play music? And what is the best external hard drive for Mac's?

• Mr. G
    Favorite Answer

In order of asking:

Yes, you can save all your music to that, and still have iTunes play it.

Yes, you must always have it with you to do play music if you choose to do that.

It shouldn't really matter what hard drive you get. Just get one that's bigger than the total capacity of your iPod(s) (if you own) so you can switch out your music on occasion.

Depends on a couple of different things: How much storage space? Sounds like you need a good about if you are going to be holding videos + games and such Size of drive? Will you be moving around a lot? Some external hard drives take no external power supply and might do you good for that.

Yes you can save all your music to it. If your music is on the HD what makes you think you can play it without it attached? Will you still be able to play music stored locally without the external? Of course. Any external usb drive will do.