Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

Women, how do you feel about pornography?

Feminist positions on pornography currently break down into three rough categories. The most common ones are...

"Anti-porn feminism" which's that pornography is an expression of male culture through which women are commodified and exploited.

A second view, the liberal position, which I call "Liberal feminism", combines a respect for free speech with the principle "a woman's body, a woman's right" and thus produces a defense of pornography along the lines of, "I don't approve of it, but everyone has the right to consume or produce words and images."

And the third view - a true defense of pornography, often known as "Pro-sex feminism" - arises from feminists who have been labeled pro-sex and who argue that porn has benefits for women. They defend a woman's choice to participate in and to consume pornography. Pro-sex arguments sometimes seem to overlap with liberal feminist ones. For example, both express concern over who will act as censor because subjective words, such as "degrading," will be interpreted to mean whatever the censor wishes.

I'm just asking out of curiosity, I swear. Just wonderin how you women feel towards this issue. Do you find pornography degrading, beneficial, or are you just neutral about it.

Favorite Answer

For one, I'm going to answer your question from my own personal stance as a individual, free thinking woman. I'm not a feminist and feminist do not speak for me. Now, that we've got that out of the way.

I've watched it, I've dated (am dating) men who watch it, I have friends who watch it; and it doesn't matter to me what these women chose to do. In my personal opinion, it's to each his or her own. I'm all about women and men living their lives the way they see fit.

But what I do have a problem with is human trafficking being incorporated into the adult entertainment industry. People may not want to admit this; but many of these women you see in these movies (mainly the foreign women) are not there voluntarily. There are some young girls and women who're forced into the business against their will; and that's what I personally protest. Some of the young women in these movies are run aways that have been consumed by a life of drugs, sex, prostitution and pornography, and many of these women have been plastered all over the internet without their knowledge or consent. That's what I have a problem with.

But, there is a small corner of the adult entertainment industry that is geared towards women. The producers/writers, actors, film crew and production staff are either hand picked by women, or are women. And I've taken a peak at some of those on a few occasions ;); I must say they're done in good taste. Very classy and stimulating. My moral stance (my belief in the bible) tells me it's wrong. But I understand that no one can live in this world and not be tempted to look at the images or turned on by it (gay or straight). We're human and we have those natural urges that at times can over-ride our decisions to steer clear of it. That's one of the reasons why this industry makes billions of dollars annually.

2

Source(s): 100% Live Sex Chat - http://CamGz.com/?SZkD

I watch porn on occasion. It's hilarious--these women are so obviously faking it. The guys do too. I don't give a flying leap off a two foot ladder about porn as long as there aren't any children in it (child pornography needs to be stopped) and everything is consensual.

This is what I think about porn:

Lesbian porn is boring.

Gay male porn is kind of gross...and boring.

Straight male/female porn...after the initial titillation...is boring.

When I've watched porn, I've felt sorry for the actors, male and female. Sure, it's his/her body, his/her choice. If they are being exploited because they perform in porn, they chose to do it. But sex can be such a special thing; it's sad that people are willing to sell their sexuality.

What I think is interesting is people always talk about female porn actors being exploited without mentioning the male actors. If porn exploits women, it also exploits men.

So I don't really agree with any of the views you listed in your question. If I had to choose one, I'd choose the second view. Really, porn exploits both the people who perform in it, as well as those that watch it. The only one who benefits from it is the one collecting the money from it's production. Sure, people can choose to do what they want...but somethings should not be for sale.

Edit: Deity of Peace makes a good point about human trafficking. That is completely reprehensible.

well its a free country so if u wanna do or view porn then i guess its your right.

Personally I think porn is far to humourous to be arousing!! Its so cheezy and unrealistic! PPl should NOT get pointers from porn because it does not represent what GOOD sex is about! If you are unsure, get one of those instructional books about sexual technique - they are everywhere now. I happen to love sex - good sex, NOT porn style sex lol - Porn is laughable and i have no idea why men like it but theres no law against it so i guess they are allowed to watcch.

Anyway porn tends to exploit the ppl in it - the men and the woman porn stars are both being portrayed as sexual objects instead of human beings. Also I think some ppl think that female porn stars have lots of sexual powere an agency. I can see how ppl would think this but I do not think that it is true. You would think they have power because they own thier sexuality and are making money from it. But ultmately, the men do not view them as powerfull women, they view them as sex objects - thus the women are powerless after all.

Women and feminists enjoy women's ability to make easy money in a male controlled coming at the small expense of their 'morals' which women conveniently have truly never had to uphold. They also enjoy the opportunity to gain exposure for complaining and moaning about the sex industry after they've gotten out.

Gweenie B,

How does getting f*cked in the @ss empower a woman. I would categorize that as selfabasement.

@Gweenie B,

I agree more with the "Surrendered Wife by Laura Doyle".

Count me in as a pro-sex feminist (although I have issues with that phrase, given that people *can* object to pornography without being "anti-sex" or "sex-negative").

And being a pro-porn feminist doesn't mean I don't have issues with porn- of course I do. I'd be wary of any feminist who said porn didn't have disturbing trends or wasn't meaningful and ripe for criticism and analysis and dissection of what its trends mean. Porn can be degrading, it can be beneficial, it can be empowering, it can destroy relationships and it can strengthen them. It has less to do with the fact that it's porn, and more to do with the attitudes of the people using it, how they use it, and how it is made that qualifies it as good or bad or feminist or non-feminist in nature.

But I do watch a good deal of porn and have a blog about porn and feminism and queer issues.

EDIT: Capone- empowerment is incredibly personal. Although it's fun to snigger and laugh, discovering anal sex can be a liberating experience for a woman, particularly one who was raised to find that idea shameful.

The simple fact is that what's empowering for one woman can be degrading for another, and vice-versa. It's not about the acts, but about how they make her (or him- guys do porn, too!) feel.

Also, have you ever read Toni Bentley's "The Surrender"? She talks about how anal sex pretty much helped her find God, if you can believe it.

EDIT: Capone- I'll stick with Bentley's. That one, I can jerk off to! :)

Dude, women watch porn as well. Increasing number of women watch porn. Google it. And they also watch gay porn. the one with 2 guys kissing each other and those things. Google "women watch gay porn" lol

and also google women watching porn

See the articles

I am more of an anti-porn or sex-negative feminist. I find porn exploitative and degrading to women. I see it as mostly a product of masculinity, and women who degrade themselves to find acceptance from men. Such attitudes often come from growing up in broken homes.

I recognize there are women who hate themselves who feel empowered by porn, or who think they are calling all the shots when it comes to porn. I feel sorry for such women. They have lost themselves and do not even know it.