What type of oil can I use in a 1998 306 diesel?

I have a Peugeot 306 1.9 diesel from 1998 and was just wondering what type of oil I can use in it? I referred to the handbook and it gives the following enlightening section:

...."Viscosity Selection:

....Follow the manufacturers recommendations"

Fantastic! Just what I needed, thanks Peugeot!!! lol.

Anyway, the oil is getting a little low and I have a half-full tub of unused oil from when I had my last car (which was petrol) and just wondered if I could use it. Its been sitting around for about 4 years but they last forever if unused don't they?

It is Shell Helix Super 15w-40, it also has the following codes on it - API SJ/CF, ACEA A2/B2 and it says on the bottle "trusted protection whatever your car".

I dont know what type of oil is currently in the car, are they all compatible to mix?

And most importantly, is this oil that I already have OK to stick in the car?

Thanks guys :]

Kelly, it's Unused oil, not used :]

J M - does that mean its OK to put this 15W-40 in even though it may not be 15W-40 that's in there just now? It could be anything that's in there just now for all I know, but is it OK to mix it?

Best Answer

You can use any 15W40,since it all meets SAE standard.Most people with Dodge recommend Dello,by Chevron,though Dodge recommend Valvoline Fleet 15W40.

Source(s): 26 years auto parts and ASE2 Certified

used oil? using that would be kind of foolish why not just go buy a quart