Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why do conservative Christians look down on long hair, piercings and tats?

Wasn't all that en vogue in the time of Jesus?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

We don't look down on them. We generally just don't do those things. That is because Christians usually do not really care about trying to look like a cutting-edge individualist. They are usually more concerned about living what the bible considers to be righteousness.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I hate to disillusion you, but tats were invented by gay pirates (what pirates aren't gay?), and the piercings at the time of Jesus were more of the spear and sword variety, but long hair actually was popular when Yeshua was gadding about because it was too hard to cut hair with axes. Incidentally, the axe salons were really where the practice of counting coupe or scalping and customer complaints began, which means that even in barbarity and business the Christians have it all over the heathens. Christians 2, Pagans zippo.

• 1 decade ago

Piercings and tats are against god (according to the bible). Which is kind of funny because many of the religious followers have piercings (ear piercings count too) or a possible tat somewhere. I just think that the conservative Christians need to look at themselves rather than judging others which they seem to take pride in. Buncha crooks!

and for the one who said that the bible doesn't say this, read a bit more.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There is a part in the bible that does state not to mark ones body. But even in an afterlife, we shed the physical body when we expire on the earth plane. The main reason for their reactions is what they were taught to believe, plain and simple. If you belonged to a religion that taught that cutting your fingernails was a sin, then that would be the way you would look at others who cut their nails. All of these questions like this goes back to what's been put into your head, religion, science, politics, etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

That depends entirely on which parts of the Bible they choose to follow. There is a stipulation in 1 Corinthians, chapter 11, verses 1-15, but that is canceled out in verse 16, but some choose not to read that far.

• 1 decade ago

There are some that are ignorant of the word. Some thumpers believe that tattoos are a sin, because the bible says not to mark your body, but if you read the chapter, the bible is saying that you shouldn't mark your body like the pagans do, when mourning for someone. Because there is life after death. No one should be looking down on you, it is what you DO with your life, not what you look like

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't. Some of it can lead to a great presentation. There is no New Testament prohibition.

I do find some of the reasoning behind it somewhat funny, in attempt to express individuality, they are doing the same thing as everyone else.

• Rick
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Here would be the point of view of Jehovah's Witnesses:

(Leviticus 19:28) . . .“‘And YOU must not make cuts in YOUR flesh for a deceased soul, and YOU must not put tattoo marking upon yourselves. I am Jehovah.

Also we don't want to be identified as being part of Satans world.

(John 17:15-16) . . .“I request you, not to take them out of the world, but to watch over them because of the wicked one. 16 They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.

(1 John 2:15-17) . . .Do not be loving either the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him; 16 because everything in the world—the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one’s means of life—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world. 17 Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever.

Cheers

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because our custom in america was to be humans and look like humans not like deities- even our forefathers like franklin fixed his hair

when it was long to affix his male person not to look- the opposite to

disfigure individuality that causes superiority, we are all created equal in the sight of men.

• 1 decade ago

Looking down on people is their first priority. Whom they choose is irrelevant.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.