Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

any good fantasy series with vampires, werewolves in it?

I would like a series that has a strong female as the main character and is written in first person view. I have already read the following and really enjoyed them if you could give me something similar I would really appreciate it.

laurell k hamilton- Anita Blake

charlaine harris-sookie stakehouse

patricia briggs-mercy thompson & the alpha omega

ilona Andrews series

jim butcher-dresden files

keri arthur-riley Jensen series

lilith saintcrow- dante valentine & jill kismet series

kim harrison- rachel morgan series

jeanine frost- huntress series

kelley armstrong- women of the otherwostephene meyer- twilight sega

Favorite Answer

You could try Charlaine Harris' Harper Connolly series. No vampires or weres but it does have a supernatural feel with the lead character Harper Connolly able to "see" the dead. I'm on book one now and it's seems interesting. Obviously similar writing style to Sookie.

Richelle Mead has three series, two of which I've read. The Vampire Academy series is entirely vampires. She also has the "Succubus" series which is a succubus (energy taker). Very adult but you've read Sookie so you should be able to deal... There is a third series but I haven't got to that one yet.

The Night World series has vampires, weres / shifters and witches.

The Evernight series (Claudia Gray) is a Gothic boarding school and has only vampires.

The South Beach series (Alex Duval) is ok, vampires only, male lead.

House of Night series - I haven't read but hear it's okay.

The City of ~ series - again I haven't read but it seems popular

I've also seen the Night Watch (also Day and Twilight Watch) by Sergei something.

A single vampire book "Let the Right One In" is also supposed to be good - the movie is good...

Wow, what a question! These kinds of books are my personal guilty pleasure. I've read so much of this stuff over the years that I really don't know where to begin... But I think the best thing to recommend is a little-known and sometimes hard-to-find series by P. N. Elrod known as "The Vampire Files." At 13 books and counting, it's a rather long series, but it's a whole lot of fun and I guarantee that there's nothing else like it out there right now. "The Vampire Files" follows Jack Fleming, a former journalist turned private eye as he wanders around 1930s Chicago solving crimes with his friend and employer, Charles Escott. It's sort of like one long ganster movie, filled with lots of mob action, 1930s slang, dirty double-crossing, cute broads and some neat vampire tricks. Elrod's vampires are a bit more Dracula-like, and all the more interesting for it. Elrod has imagined Jack as a bit like The Shadow with a lust for blood. If you like film noir, detective stories, and lots of action with a vampiric twist, this is a really, really great series. But it's hard to get ahold of the books, even through Amazon. If you do, though, believe me---it's totally worth it. Oh, and a side note: while this is technically a series, there is absolutely no harm in starting somewhere in the middle with it rather than with the first book. Each book stands alone fairly well, and Elrod explains things just enough in each book to keep things rolling. I would NOT recommend starting with the two most recent books in the series, however. They are rather dependant on one another plot-wise, and signifigance of the main character's personal changes would be lost. But all in all, it's a great series. Some books are a bit better than others, but it really picks up steam towards the middle and end of the series. Worth checking out, though, if nothing else. There's a lot of great vampire/werewolf stuff out there. It's just hidden in a morrass of cheesey stuff half the time. Good luck!

• liaxe

Shiver by Megan Stefavier (Cant spell xD)

It's about werewolves only though.

The Nightworld Series

It has witches, werewolves and vampires, from female and male views. Each book has three separate stories, but the characters meet each other throughout the story.

i know you want to read about a chick protagonist but you should really check out the cirque du freak series. I know the movie just came out but i read these a few years ago and they're simply epic, insanely cool, and bring back an old school style to vampires.

Let the Right One in.

The BEST vampire tale ive ever read.

also, the movie is now my favorite movie.

uhmm. Twilight, duh. =)