Is Waikiki Hawaii on the Big Island named Hawaii in the city of Honolulu?

I have looked at several maps but still do not really understand how to get to where I am going in Hawaii; because of all of the common/native names used that are not common to first time tourists like me. My geography understanding is lacking in depth of where I need to go once i arrive at the Honolulu airport. What Island am I on when i land?

Favorite Answer

The name of the 50th state and the name of the biggest island in the state have the same name: Hawaii. To avoid confusion between the name of the state and the big island, that's why they call the island of Hawaii the "Big Island" now.

The state of Hawaii contains multiple islands, the primary islands are:

OAHU - 80% of the population lives on this island. The only metropolis in the state is on this island, the city of Honolulu. Waikiki and Waikiki Beach is the tourist district in Honolulu. Honolulu International Airport is in Honolulu, and most international and mainland transits arrive or depart here. You can also connect to the other islands from this airport.

MAUI - The most visited island after Oahu, has the cities of Lahaina and Kapahulu. Ka'anapali Beach, Wailea, Kapalua and Hana are all great resort locations.

THE BIG ISLAND - Really named "Hawaii" but never referred as such to avoid the very confusion you are experiencing. Where the active volcanoes and orange lava viewing sites are located. There are two airports on this huge island, Kailua-Kona and Hilo.

KAUAI - The most beautiful of the islands, looks the most like Tahiti or Moorea in the south pacific. The airport is located in Lihue.

MOLOKAI - Very infrequently visited, very quiet with the most remaining Hawaiian character.

LANAI - Isolated, two resorts by Four Seasons, but not a lot here otherwise, used to be the primary pineapple fields for Dole Pineapple.

Source(s): 2nd home in Honolulu

Honolulu Airport is on the island of Oahu, which is kind of in the middle of the chain of the main Hawaiian Islands. The Big Island is the island called Hawaii, which is at the southeastern end of the chain about 200 miles from Oahu. It's called the big Island to differentiate it from the State of Hawaii (you know whether someone is talking about the island or the state) and it's the largest island in the chain.

Go to Google or Yahoo maps to call up a map of Oahu (just enter "Oahu" as the map location). The Honolulu airport is at the bottom center of the island. Off to the southeast is the city of Honolulu. That's where Waikiki Beach, and all the hotels and stuff are.

Waikiki/Honolulu is on the Island of Oahu...Hawaii, AKA, "The Big Island" is an entirely different Island than Oahu. If you are LANDING in Honolulu you will be on the Island of Oahu...from the airport, Honolulu International you can take a Taxi or a Shuttle into Waikiki, takes about 30-45 minutes to get there depending on traffic.Aloha

RE:

I have looked at several maps but still do not really understand how to get to where I am going in Hawaii; because of all of the common/native names used that are not common to first time tourists like me. My geography understanding is lacking in depth of where I need to go once i arrive at the...

Source(s): waikiki hawaii big island named hawaii city honolulu: https://trimurl.im/a17/is-waikiki-hawaii-on-the-bi...

I'm 13 years old and i've lived there before for 3 years. anyways. Waikiki is in the island of Oahu. and big island is the biggest island[your not going there]

SO AS YOU SAID YOU ARE GOING TO HONOLULU RIGHT?

well Honolulu is actually the capital of Hawaii and that is in the island of oahu (:

hope that helps you if you need any more help just ask me (:

Big Island = the ISLAND Hawaii

Oahu = island in the STATE of Hawaii

Honolulu = city on the island of Oahu

Waikiki = city on the island of Oahu

You'll be on Oahu.

The whole state is called Hawaii and the largest of these 8 islands is named Hawaii, the same as the state. Just remember Hawaii is an island and a state but Honolulu is on the island named Oahu.

House to the State Capitol, Honolulu may be the vibrant epicentre of Hawaii and a city worth visit, like you might find with hotelbye . In Honolulu you'll find every thing from old landmarks and treasured monuments to world-class shopping and a flourishing arts and lifestyle scene. Home to nearly all Oahu's citizenry, the sprawling town of Honolulu develops through the south-eastern shores of Oahu, from Pearl Harbor to Makapuu Point, encompassing world famous Waikiki. Pearl Harbor is among Honolulu's greatest tourist attractions. Although it is house to the Navy's Pacific Fleet, guests may take a visit to see the USS Arizona Memorial, and the USS Missouri.

• Donna

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axtHg

There are several resort type hotels of the type that you're describing on some of the outer islands. Check out The Grand Wailea on Maui, Hapuna Beach Hotel on the Big Island (named Hawaii), or the Mauna Kea Beach Resort (which is the neighbor to the Hapuna Beach). These bigger resort type hotels will give you more of what you're looking for I believe. There is one such hotel on the island of Oahu. That hotel is the Ko'olina Resort and Spa and is located basically on the opposite of the island from Waikiki and is a 2 hour drive from the airport. Of course, all of these hotels are not cheap and room rates will run you in the $600/nt price range for a standard room. Good luck and happy travels!

Waikiki is on the smaller island of Oahu. That's one of the most popular islands. The big island is actually named Hawaii.