Worst last name you've ever heard? Was it as bad as this?

OK, I am totally serious here, when my husband and I were married, I wanted him to take my last name (you'll see why), but the pastor wouldn't marry us if he took my last name. Anyways, it's (are you ready for this and I am NOT joking) - Hadcock. Yeeeeah. Anyways, so we have two daughters (right now they're 4 and 19 months) and baby #3 due in the spring, but how bad do you think they'll get made fun of in school? Or do you think people will overlook it? What's the worst last name you've ever heard?

My husband insists that he's heard worse - he said he was stationed with a guy who's last name was Bundick, but I think that Hadcock is worse - lol!

Just a little bit of funny history, I was in the Navy too and my title was (ya ready?) Seaman Hadcock - nice for a female, huh?!? Anyways, tell me your opions and any worse names you've heard, please! :) Thanks and God bless!

• Best Answer

That's funny! I don't know if mine can beat that, but I do transcription work for different doctors, and one doctor we sometimes got work from was named Dr. Rump. And guess what? He was a proctologist!!! I think I would have seriously changed my last name!

I had an English teacher growing up named Mrs. Decair. Doesn't seem too bad when you look at it but the phonetic way to say it was Mrs. Dickhair. Hadcock is bad. Maybe you could be the first in a new Generation. Create a last name that honors both family backgrounds. My sis-in-law's husband's family has done this. They are the 4th Generation with the new last name. Good luck and I guess if you keep your last name just teach your kids to have fun with it. :)

I don't think they'll be made fun of at school, at least that isn't likely until they hit the upper grades. Kids may be more precocious nowadays than they were in my day, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, but even nowadays I don't think you're going to have kindergarteners and first graders making double entendre references to "hadcock." At least I hope not.

It could be worse. If there was a "r" before the "d," I think you'd definitely be justified in a name change.

FWIW, it was my experience in school that the kids that had the worst time were kids with names that couldn't be pronounced. My last name is French, and nobody could ever get it right.

It's also my experience that how badly a kid gets dumped on at school has a lot more to do with things like how well they get along with people than what kind of name they had. If your kids seem to get along well with people and are likable, nice kids to be around, nobody is going to give them a hard time.

Not the worst name I ever heard, but one that always brought a smile to my face was a guy I met whose last name was Kittenplan. Just a funny name, I always wondered about the origin.

My cousins had a lot of issues with their last name, Sacrider (yes, it is pronounced sack rider). They are all in their 20's now and as soon as it is financially possible, my female cousin is getting married to her boyfriend of 5 years (They're looking at getting engaged in the next couple years. She's 23 now). She can't wait to change her name! People laugh even harder when they hear that their father is actually named Richard, just imagine Dick Sacrider... My female cousin has been through hell because of her last name. Her brothers never were teased as badly.

Part of me was wondering if it was a regional thing in their area. There is a building in the center of the city that is named the "Harry Dick" building, after a now infamous resident. Tourists actually stop in that small city to see if it is really the name of a building, but it's permanently labeled on the cornerstone!

Well my last name is Burdick so it's along those lines. I also had other people with the same last name in high school. I guess I was not made fun of but rather the boys with that last name it was thought of as funny for the first time brought up and then nothing after that.

I knew a girl in high school whose last name was bettaballs. You know like beat the balls. She didn't get made fun of that bad. I mean yeah it's a funny last name and people picked at her but you just have to learn to laugh along and blame it on your parents lol jk. But seriously I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's just a name.

well when i take my fiances name it wont be so much rude as just unfortunate!

i will become Kelly Kennell! (as in dog kennel but i have contemplated telling people its pronounced Ken-elle lmfao!) definate toungue twister, just too many LLLLLL's haha! my fiance loves his surname and never got picked on they all used to call him dogz! and the big dog! but i think my name will have a similar ring to trisher fisher! im already being called Kiki by my friends haha!

my mum went to school with a girl called Theresa Green (trees are green!) no word of a lie!

but i dont think Hadcock is too bad, most people would look and think Haddock, Hancock, maybe u cn get ur hubby to change it to Hancock? that would work both ways then!

Haha i would love the name Seaman Hadcock! thats the name od a gay porn star haha!

good luck!

Yes, its worse. The worst I've heard is Hickey.

Would your husband be persuaded to add an 'N' to the name? Totally takes the joke away (Handcock)?

Idk, that is better right?

I think of Herbie.

Actually I met a woman named Robin. She married a man and took his name and became Robin Hood, no joke!

I come from a very European family with family names like Zulicka, Zinckula, Grundbacher, Neffenegger, Glascow, Nosek and such, so any name that can be pronounced correctly the first time sounds like a dream to me

• Woods

Honey, you need to get over it. I've lived with a worse last name for 33 years and you just can't let it get to you.

Jokes don't even bother me any more. My daughter laughs at people and says, "like I haven't heard that one before." You just can't let it get to you.

Unfortunately our society will turn anything they can into something dirty. Just be a person that is above it.