I'm teaching a phonics lesson to first graders about words with the -it and -ig endings.?

This is a re-teach lesson, they have already initially learned about these endings. I have to fill 20 minutes and im trying to think of fun things i can do to help them understand this concept. So far all i have thought of is the assessment, i have a worksheet for them to complete. I thought about playing some sort of game, but i'm not really sure what to do. I would love any ideas or help you can think of!

My objective is somewhere along the lines of "students will review words ending in -it and -ig and then complete a worksheet with 80% accuracy"

Favorite Answer

I just did a re-teach lesson on word families and I played a game with kids. I did it with -ig and -at but I'm sure you can modify it. On sentence strips I wrote words that ended in -ig and -at. I cut them to separate them and then each child was given a card with a word on it. They had to first read the word and then they had to tell me which word family it belonged to by meowing like a cat for the -at words and oinking for the -ig words. The students had fun and in the end, they actually remembered that the words ending in -at are in the -at family and that they rhyme. I guess you can have your students stand and those with the -it words can sit and those with the -ig words can oink.

Source(s): 12 year teacher

Ehm..

There are numerous documented benefits and advantages of teaching children to read early on, and teaching them to reading using phonics and phonemic awareness instructions. It is clear that early language and reading ability development passes great benefits to the child as they progress through school at all grades, and that early language and reading problems can lead to learning problems later on in school.

For a simple, step-by-step program that can help your child learn to read visit this web site: http://readingprogram.toptips.org

Cheers ;)