Phoenix Trite asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

If Tyson was introduced to mma instead of boxing, how would he fare?

Just a hypothetical question. :)

How would he fare as a mma fighter in the UFC in his prime age that is.

Favorite Answer

Tyson can bang, no doubt about it. But, I think he would have limited success in MMA. He might KO some tomato cans, but against an elite grappler, he would be toast.

Most boxers have a hard time to transition to MMA. There have been some exceptions like Marcus Davis, Laverne Clark and Alessio Sakara.

Tyson would have to work on his takedown and submission defense a lot. If he could get into a good gym like Team Quest or American Top Team.

Tyson would probably be better suited to learning BJJ, because once he gets taken down, he would need a serviceable guard to avoid being submitted.

Think Kimbo Slice or Houston Alexander. They can't strike nearly as well as Tyson, and everyone who fights them looks to get it to the ground.

It won't be any different if someone fights Tyson. Take down, ground and pound or submission.

I don't think it would work for K-1 for their Kickboxing. K-1 Heroes, yes, as that is already MMA. The smaller gloves used in MMA are for grappling, and would lead to KO's too quickly in K-1. Don't get me wrong, KO's still happen in K-1 even with the bigger gloves, but I'd hate to see every fight end in less than a minute thanks to the small gloves. Since there is no grappling in K-1 and K-1 Max, there's no use for a finger-less smaller glove. And just an opinion, the term "dirty boxing" sounds like it belongs in a human cock fight, and not MMA. I wish that term was dropped completely.

He would be pretty good if he had a ground game. If I had to compare him to someone in the ufc right now, prob pat barry amazing standup, below average ground game, and a little shorter compared to other hw's. Lol him vs a dude like rampage would be pretty tight.

Similar to Bimbo Slice, He would be a fighter not a Mixed Martial Artist. He would have no ground game...

poorly, mma is more than punching, got kick and loock under some bjj move ore knock out by an elbow, knee, throw ore worst

Source(s): mi own opinion
  • Jim

He'd have eaten more ears.