Does the seasonal flu help fight against swine flu then the typical H1N1 vaccine?

I had a flu shot about a month back, and the H1N1 hit the D.C. surrounding counties hard. I'm not sure if I should go get an intranasal H1N1 vaccine. A lot of teens at my high school have come up with it, yet it wasn't all that big despite very horrible side effects. Should I, or shouldn't I?

Favorite Answer

"Does the seasonal flu help fight against swine flu then the typical H1N1 vaccine?" -- Better to not call it "swine flu". It stopped being a flu of pigs this spring when it infected humans. This is the novel H1N1 flu, or you can also call it 2009 H1N1 flu.

You're asking if having had one kind of seasonal flu is more effective than a novel H1N1 vaccination in providing protection against novel H1N1 flu. Is that correct? I had to rephrase it to make sense but I think I got it.

There are 3 kinds of seasonal flu: seasonal H3N2, type B & H1N1, so I'm presuming you mean the seasonal H1N1 flu. Having had seasonal H1N1 flu won't provide you with antibody protection against the novel H1N1 virus. Although closely related, they aren't quite the same. While humans have been exposed to all the seasonal viruses for generations, this is not so for the novel H1N1 virus. The exposure to this virus is new. The novel H1N1 is genetically different from the seasonal one and we have no immunity to it. It has antigenic differences that mean our immune systems have to come up with all new antibodies for this antigen while we've been producing antibodies for the seasonal H1N1 virus for a long time.

There's no "typical" H1N1 vaccine. There is one that is a combination vaccine that contains all 3 seasonal viruses and one that contains the novel H1N1 virus.

"A lot of teens at my high school have come up with it, yet it wasn't all that big despite very horrible side effects." -- It's unclear what you're saying here. A lot of teens came up with it??? Side effects?? This sounds like a lot of them had the novel H1N1 flu and there were side effects, which doesn't make much sense. If you mean vaccination, the "horrible" side effects (anaphylactic shock*, Guillaine-Barre* & dystonia**) are *rare and **extremely rare. The "flu-like" symptoms are just the immune system doing what it does and are no different from what the immune response does with an actual flu infection except for the severity & duration.

No body can make this decision for you. Besides, if enough people around you are vaccinated, there'll be herd immunity.

Source(s): I'm a nurse.
  • Lak

No, the seasonal flu vaccine does not protect against the new H1N1 virus.

Source(s): public health dr.