Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

Pink Floyd fans: are PF extremely pretentious and overrated (please read details of the question)?

Pink Floyd is so damn boring. Is it necessary for them to add sounds to everything? Like the cash register, I think there is a helicopter on one of their songs, boring. Then they have the classroom 'Another Brick in the Wall', which is innovative as hell, sure; but not anything special. You can say the same thing for their lasers in the live shows, innovative; but not indicative of any incredible musical talent. Their music is boring and slow, unfortunately.

I think it's pretty stupid for all these kids here to be wearing DSOTM shirts, and not know anything about Pink Floyd besides the album.. I have only met one kid who knows stuff about Pink Floyd and wears the clothes.

Favorite Answer

Thank you! I can agree with that. It's not like their music is bad, the sounds get annoying sometimes... but i get what your're saying- all those kids with pf shirts get kinda annoying, but i think it's more of an expression of taste, not that they know everything. same thing goes for like kids with pantera shirts on.

Pink Floyd is extremely underrated. If you think they suck because their music is slow, you're listening to music for the wrong reasons--or, at least, you shouldn't be listening to Pink Floyd. You did get one thing right, however; too many people listen to Pink Floyd and know nothing about the band because they have extremely shallow experience listening to their music. Their music is about the lyrics, not the music, and all those extra sounds create an ambient effect, which is necessary for setting the tone of each sound (it helps them make one song sad and another song relaxing). Most people don't listen to Pink Floyd because they don't understand that it is closer to poetry than to other music. And if you think Pink Floyd lacks musical talent, you need to reconsider your definition of the word. They engineer the sound of their music to help the listeners interpret the lyrics a certain way; they don't just try to make their music 'sound good' like almost every band does.

I agree I don't like some of their albums. For example, Atom Heart Mother seemed a bit drawn out and uninteresting. However, overall I think Pink Floyd is amazing, and I'm no "elitist audiophile". I could listen to both DSOTM and Meddle on repeat and never get tired of them. Roger Waters is a lyrical genius. David Gilmour has one of the best singing voices I've heard, his guitar playing isn't bad either. Richard Wright's keyboard work is incredible. Nick Mason's drums nicely complement the songs. I respect other people's musical tastes, but I don't know why you're hating on PF so much. I'm sure I can find flaws in whatever you listen to.

• D

Is this a serious question? Over rated? They broke barriers with DSOTM, David Gilmore is amazing, not a Joe Satriani but the bands true skill is song writting, the sounds effects are for effect and add to the theme. They wrote amazing songs, what an ability to draw such moods and textures with music and effects!

Kids wear AC/DC shrits and barely know them. They sell them in stores, and it is a cool design really.

There's always the fact that if you find them boring then don't listen to them.

DSotM is one of the best albums of all time and the sound effects really make the album. I get goosebumps every time I hear "Time". I don't find it boring in the slightest. There is a depth and feeling you get with that album that you apparently haven't found yet.

Source(s): Listening to loads of Pink Floyd on vinyl, CD, digital, tapes, and pretty much any format you can think of.

PInk Floyd is great at taking those things that are ordinary and making them into a masterpiece... and just cuz something is slow doesnt mean it is boring... david gilmore has perfect timing that is beautiful and trancing

Swing and a Miss.

If you're looking at Pink Floyd for some crazy headbanging, you're looking at the wrong band.

pink floyd was all about the atmosphere, not just the listenability. they created a mood with their songs instead of just utilizing standard rock instrumentation. in short, they were awesome. but really, i dont see them as over rated most of the time. some people blow it out of proportion, but they are few and far between.

• hyæna

i got a few pink floyd albums and some of the songs are really good but in my opinion tho i cba listening to stuff like echoes or shine on your crazy diamond.

16 minutes of sound effects and crazy guitars can be boring but thats just me..

Reading your question I can see immediately that you don't "get it" on a fundamental level. Any further discussion would be pointless. If you don't care for the Floyd fine. Why do you obsess over the fact you don't like them? Move on.