Help me understand how to use Boyle's law to complete the following table?

Use Boyle's law to complete the following table (assume temperature and number of moles of gas to be constant):

P1

787 mm Hg

_

169 mm Hg

1.86 atm

v1

2.58 L

1.13 L

316 L

_

P2

896 mm Hg

4.82 atm

_

4.36 atm

v2

_

2.71 L

578 mL

192 mL

Please help explain how you determine the answer. Thank you in advance.

Favorite Answer

Boyle's Law for ideal gases just states this relationship:

PV = nRT where:

P = pressure

V = volume

n = # of moles of the gas

R = ideal gas constant

T = absolute temperature (Kelvin or K, not C or F)

You either have to get R in the correct units (e.g. atmospheres vs. Pascals) or convert your pressure and volume to the same units to get the correct answer.

For solving this problem, it appears that T and n can be assumed to be constant.  Of course, R is also a constant, so what you have is a relationship between P and V.  You can have a constant X=nRT which you can calculate from the information given, then PV=X, P=X/V and V=X/P.  That should let you fill out the table (after you do the unit conversions from mm Hg to atm and back!).

Know one thing my dear girl. No religion is perfect as they are created by human beings only. Those creators of religions never tried to understand the themes of other religions, but started to propagate that only their religion and Gods are best and the Gods and religions of others are bad and should not be followed. What is important is that how human beings can live happily without minding religions is shown by your Parents. In my case, I studied the concepts of all religions and lastly I found no religion is perfect. But politicians in India and Pakistan are trying to bring difference between people of all communities. Common people are not interested in these dirty politics. There is no such thing as our God, their Gods. But God should be one if he is there on this planet and if he is visible to all. I never saw him or her as nobody proved whether the God is Man or Woman and where he is available to be seen by all. Hence, I gave up those concepts and remain a non-religious person. Neither I criticize any religion nor follow them. Now, I am leaving a sigh of relief due to this liberated air I am breathing now. Nobody is born with brain to be controlled by a remote controller. As you have a brain of your own, start thinking logically with reasoning to know the truth.