Does the label "Moderate Christian" imply moderate passion for Jesus Christ?

To me, a moderate Christian is one who chooses interpret the Bible in light of the best scientific, archaeological, and historical evidence available, but still is just as much if not more passionate about Jesus Christ than a more conservative Christian.

However it seems that some people think that a "Moderate Christian" is a person who keeps their religion to the weekend only or something.

What do ya think? I especially want to hear from atheists.

• lackey

Moderate Christian

• I thought that a Moderate Christian was someone who was Christian but held political views that would moderate.

For example, a Moderate Christian instead of being pro-life (more Christian Right), might be pro-choice or pro-choiceANDpro-life. I always have found it disturbing when political stances were conditional on being called a certain religion, since that can easily be bastardized/corrupted into a "agree with me, or you're banished from God's favour" which is a fear-based leverage tool that I don't think appropriately reflects Who God Is, or how God works.

When I read the term "moderate Christian," I cringe.

Because I kind of represent that remark, as the saying goes, and it depends on how you define moderate and Christian what the term might mean.

Now, to me, a moderate is a person who strives to avoid extremism, and tends to look for some middle ground. This is either because the person doesn't want to choose, or he or she has found serious problems with both extreme positions, and firmly believes the proper answer is somewhere in between the extremes.

The first type of person is a fair-weather Christian; the second type is a thoughtful Christian. I cringe because members of the extremes don't really want to look at subtleties; they only know that I don't totally buy their position, and they react like our former so-called president, who said that if you're not for us, you're against us. Note that this is an elitist position; what Jesus said was "Whoever is not against us is for us."

Yes. A moderate Christian would also follow the Teachings of Jesus -- the Beatitudes, and the Parable of the Good Samaritan. -- neither of which conflict with science or historical evidence.

On the other hand, a churchie fundie Christian follows Paul and the early church leaders instead of Jesus' teachings. -- They don't seem to realize Paul never knew Jesus' teachings. Example: He wrote 9 books of the Bible giving his personal philosophy, and never once quoted any of Jesus' teachings. -- He had an empire to build, and he did it. Ergo, all church empires follow Paul.

The Bible calls "Moderate Christians" lukewarm - and Jesus said that He will spit them out of His mouth.

There isn't such a thing as a "moderate passion" for Christ - Passion is an absolute term: either you give Him your full heart and soul and mind, or you don't.

It's your choice.

"a moderate christians is a "i love jesus and i don't care what other people's beliefs are, i love them even if they are devil worshippers, i will not convert them, god has a plan for them" type."

The problem with this statement is that if you truly love Jesus then you have a heart for the Lost and you know that without Him they have no hope of salvation. Therefore you MUST care what they believe.

Says the Lord

"reasonable with regard to things like [..] evolution, but still love the Bible".

HOW can you, when the Bible contradicts what evolution claims?

• I don't accept the ''modern'' or ''conservative'' tags applied to theists these days.

If you have a religious scripture, you are a real follower of the religion if you interpret it the way it is meant to without cherry-picking.

If you cherry pick, to me, you're a weak follower. If you stick to the core, you are a true follower, even if it makes you a fanatic (hey, that's the religion's fault. Why subscribe to it?)

I really can't see how you can interpret the Bible in the light of the ''best scientific, archaeological, and historical evidence available'', and still remain a devout follower. The contradictions are overwhelming. But, by then, you ignore and cherry-pick, and that is when you become a weak follower.

Lastly, I don't imply anything negative by saying ''weak'' follower. In fact, in case of mainstream religions, being a weak follower is safer and more recommended ^_^

Source(s): atheist

If you were to research the term you will find there is no such phrase as "moderate Christian". Instead you will find the term "Liberal Christian". "Moderate Christians" is used in common parlance to distinguish those Christians who support the separation of church and state from the "extremist Christians" who wish to tear it down. It has nothing to do with being lukewarm. Jesus believed in the separation of church and state: "Render unto Caesar that which belongs to Caesar".

A moderate Christian is someone that believes in God, believes that Jesus is the son of God, believes that Jesus is the only way to get into heaven, and (most importantly) that's all that really matters. Everything else (hating gays, Muslims, evolution, etc.) is just part of the lunatic fringe of Christianity. I would argue that most Christians are moderate, and we only interact with the crazies because they're the least likely to feel embarrassed by their ridiculous behavior and preposterous assumptions.

To me, it means people who are genuinely passionate about Jesus' message, and not conservative political issues. It's people who practice what is mentioned in Matthew 7:12, and think that quotes from Jesus are more important than advisory letters from Paul to early Churches.

To me, it means "not bat sh!t crazy over my religion".

99% of Christians fall into this group. They are decent people who believe that their god reveals itself in all sorts of ways to all sorts of people. They don't think you'll go to hell for accidentally lifting up a box on sunday or picking the wrong church or praying the wrong way.

They think that those who lead a good life are good people.

They accept science and their religion, even though they may have a lot of questions. The thing is, they ask their questions with curiosity instead of contempt.

They don't hate others (although they have some dislike for a few, no doubt), and they don't think they have all of the answers.

I like most Christians. I married one, in fact. It's that 1% lunatic fringe that sometimes gets to me...

EDIT: For what it's worth, I think that a person can be infinitely passionate about Christ, and still be a moderate Christian. The difference is in how much of reality you ignore in favor of your religion.