Marina asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

my jack russell bit me?

hi i have a jack russell he is 9 months old he is my baby i love him to bits, when i go to bed i tell him to go to bed, most times he will but every now and again he will run upstairs on my bed and when i try to pick him up he growls at me. last night i said go to bed he went under the living room table and growled at me, i went to pull him out and he bit me, i did smack him on the nose. im passed my self now i don't want to be frightened of him. this morning he came up to see me on my bed and he snuggles in to me, my husband came up to take him out for his run in the car as he goes to work with my husband he has a good run around then he started growling again. i don't now what to do it seems like if he don't want to do it he will growl and bite. please please can any one help me im not getting rid of him i love him. don't get me wrong he is very good at everything else please help thanks.

• Becky
    Best Answer

He's not your baby, he's a dog. The fact that you've treated him as a baby is partly to blame for the trouble you're having now. At 9 mos he's an adolescent, coming into maturity with hormones in play. Add this to the already feisty terrier temperament, and you've got a handful of 'chutzpah' that has to be dealt with.

How? Firm leadership. Start by recognizing and treating your dog as a dog. No more jumping up on the bed and cuddling. Nothing, without the performance of a task....ie, obedience.

Dogs like this must be raised with the 'nothing in life is free' approach. Meaning, everything he wants, be it a toy, food, affection, a walk, is earned through reliable obedience.

Start with basic motivational, reward-based puppy tasks. Sit, down, come, etc. Keep a leash on him at first so that any attempts to leave or hide can be quelled. Once he proves obedient and reliable, only then can you invite him up on furniture. At first, it's up, and off after mere seconds. When he's ok with this, his 'snuggle time' can eventually be extended.

Only when he accepts that you and hubby are the 'bosses' will he stop trying to challenge you.

I always advise people who've never dealt with this type of behavior before to bring in a trainer/behaviorist specializing in aggression/dominance issues. Try to locate one to come in and evaluate him, and give you the basic knowledge and tools you need to get this little bugger under control. JRT's are great dogs but they require firm, consistent leadership. So get to it. :)

• JAG

Your pup is exhibiting normal adolescent dog behavior. It is not acceptable so you must correct it. Smacking him is a normal reaction but won't help.

Not sure if you have done any formal training but now would be the time. Training in a simple obedience class will help with the bond you have and also the role you are in and reestablish you as leader. And yes, he should work for everything in your household. The toys, the treats, the food. ANything he wants he has to do something for. It doesn't have to be a performance, just rules for him to follow. He has to sit to get his food. He has to drop his toy to get you to throw it. He has to wait to go outside when you say go.

Don't give up on him yet. How you handle this stage will either shape him into a great dog or set the tone for his life in a shelter or euthanasia.

• K

You have to get this under control before he gets older and much worse. First of all, he's not seeing you guys as the alpha's, the dominant pack leaders. You need to be firm with him. Yes you can love on him but before that he needs stability and rules. Dogs actually crave this and without they act out. When he growls you need to be assertive and go right up to him. Don't try and touch him or anything, just stand your ground and make sure he knows you mean business. If he's on your bed doing this, you need to never let him on your bed again. He obviously feels he owns it and is allowing YOU to sleep on it. As far as him going under the table, if a dog is acting aggressive while hiding under something or in a corner, you NEVER want to reach for them... it instinct for your dog to protect himself. Sounds like work because it is, but try moving the table and standing in his way of it. I suggest you watch the Dog Whisperer. He has good techniques to use on aggressive dogs that test their owners. It's all about establishing your dominance without even using words. You have to change your attitude.

He has you trained. He has learned that if he behaves this way, he can get the reaction he desires from you. He wants the bed, he snaps at you, you leave, dog wins

YOU need to take charge and make the ground rules...I have an 80 lb dog and if I don't want him on my bed, he KNOWS he better clear out.

So maybe when he's on the bed, and won't get down, you get a lead, slip it on him, and BRING him down off the bed, use a command like "down" or "off" but you have to be consistent and use the same one every time. If you show him you are afraid of him, he will not respect you at all and all your commands will mean nothing.

If you do some obedience training, he will respect you more. And you definitely made a mistake by hitting him. Once you hit a dog, you break any sort of bond you had with him. Dogs that have been hit before are much more likely to bite. Get him some training and stop spanking him.

Source(s): I'm a dog trainer.

Your dog is biting and growling at you because he has decided to try to dominate you in your pack. He is still a puppy and trying to figure his place out in your pack.

You need to take the position as pack leader. When he's on the bed and he growls or nips at you when you want him off, say OFF in a much more stern authoritive voice (no yelling) and physically remove him.

If he bites at you the first couple of times you try to remove him, suck it up! lol Is he nipping or drawing blood and latching on? I'm going to assume it's nipping, so you're just going to have to honestly take it in order to remove him and establish your role as pack leader.

He's NOT being "dominant". He's resource guarding. He has something he wants (the bed) and doesn't want to let you have it.

Go find a copy of "Mine!" by Jean Donaldson. It's a brilliant book that goes into detail about resource guarding, how to prevent it and how to help once your dog is already showing signs.

The first poster hit the nail on the head. Now don't take this completely literally, but if he bites you, bite him right back. Not a literally bite, but a lot of trainers recommend a small pinch to the neck. Your puppy isn't showing any form of rare behavior, but you need to put him in his place.

Good luck!

You are letting your dog be the pack leader. You have to assert your control. You are the boss, do not give in. Try watching the Dog Whisperer.

Well, he sounds like a little gem!

He's spoiled and untrained. If you want to fix this...take away everything and make him work for it. Food, Toys, Furniture....

You're the owner and it belongs to YOU, not him.

Source(s): Dont allow him on the bed or on the couch...make him sit/down and stay before he gets his food....make him work for his toys and his walks.....