plastic asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

Coupon Parents, how do you do it?

I was just watching the Today Show and this super coupon mom was paying less than $4 (yes! I said less that 4 dollars!) per week on groceries for a family of 6.

They went to the store with her and she rang up $267 worth of groceries and her grand total came to 1 cent!!

How....? In the world....?

Anyone else a super coupon parent? How do YOU do it?

I know, artie- right? I always lose interest after 10 minutes! There's rarely anything I want in the coupon section of flyers. Dang.. I do envy those that have the patience, though.

I know that seems impossible but I saw her do it. She just kept entering all her coupons and the cash register showed 1 cent! Now, I realize that must be completely time consuming and not to mention rare. But this woman does shop that way. Crazy.. I know...

Favorite Answer

Well, I think that example is pretty rare, maybe one in a million. DH and I are huge bargain shoppers and coupon clippers (DH is the coupon clipper, actually), and we usually spend about $50 a week for a family of four. Last week we got $126 worth of groceries for $54. We only shop three weeks a month, sometimes, only two, depending on what we have in the house.

I clip coupons from the Sunday paper every week and from Web sites like red plum and smart shopper, as well as individual product Web sites. There is a blog I use (www.savingmomsmoney.com) that gives links to printable coupons that coincide with the weekly sales in my area. We shop two local Supermarkets that have weekly buy-one-get-one-free deals. I buy one item, get one free, and use a coupon for both. Some Web sites only allow you to print one coupon form a given IP address, so I usually print one from work and one from home. Other sites (like Target) will let you print as many as you want, and since our supermarket accepts competitor coupons, I use the Target coupons there a lot.

For instance, my kids love yogurt and last week the supermarket we frequent had four-packs of Yoplait fiber yogurt on bogo, regular price $2.29. I found a Web site that had a coupon for $1.25 off, and another Web site that had a coupon for $1 off. I printed two of each. We bought two packs of yogurt, got two free, and used four coupons. SO, we actually spent 8 cents for 16 little cups of yogurt that will easily last a week in our house, even if the kids eat one every day.

Sometimes even if I don't have a coupon, I will still get the bogo item, but not always. And of course there are always a few things we NEED that are not on bogo, so that brings the cost up a little.

Now, if I ONLY bought bogo items WITH coupons, I could probably come a lot closer to the 1 cent bill, but I am not that hardcore, we do get some things just becasue we like them.

ETA:

Wanted to add that it really is not all that time consuming. I spend about 20 minutes online at work printing coupons on Friday. Then on Sunday after church, my husband clips all the Sunday paper coupons and organizes them according to what is on sale that week, while checking the supermarket Web site. I go on the computer and print more coupons. Takes us about an hour a week, that's all.

Also, I never buy items just becasue I have a coupon. If it's not really cheaper or not something we are going to eat, what good would that do?

Personally I hate coupons and do not bother with them. I sometimes feel like they are just a ploy to get you to spend more. For example you have the "buy one get the second for _____" or the "save .50 when you buy 3" etc...

When I used to try and do coupons I would end up spending more just to save. I don't need 3 of something that will go bad in a week so that coupon just makes me spend more to try and save. Also I would end up buying things I wouldn't normally buy just because I had a coupon. I find that I save more when I just shop for what I need that week and buy store brand when I can (some things just have to be a certain brand), and I use my store card. I also do my major shopping at Wal-mart and we get things like paper products in bulk at BJ's.

I still end up spending a lot, we are a family of 6 and I spend an average of about $200. per week including cat food/liter and cleaning products. I really have a hard time believing someone with a family of 6 could have enough coupon savings to get them that much in groceries for 1 cent. That makes no sense to me. That mom must spend all her free time doing coupons rather than spending time with her children...seriously

I've saved $10-$15 but the one on TV like that....I think it's a scam. Coupons are $1.00 off at the most usually and 99% of items are more than $1. I am a single mom of 5 and would love to know also IF it isn't a scam but I doubt that.

I'm not quite THAT good. I just do not have the discipline. I am happy when I have a stack of coupons when I get to the register. There are times that I have saved $45-50 between double coupons, store discounts, etc.

Source(s): mom of 3 (13,9,4)
  • Mom³

It's out of this world. I've seen my step mom save $30. And thats great but she obsesses over them. And i couldn't imagine the effort it would take to save nearly a 100%. I just don't have the patience or desire. It would be a whole other job, i have enough. I clip random coupons but lots of regular items i buy just aren't in the local paper. And i don't do online coupons.

Basically you have to clip coupons and shop according to coupons and sales rather than according to what you want.

It takes a lot of planning and looking at the store flyer to see what's on sale and what you have coupons for and shop according to that and plan your meals around it.

Also often the real "savers" will go to a few different stores (like one store may have cheaper meat and another may have cheaper cereal) to get the best deals.

Honestly it's way too much for me to think about just for groceries, I just try to buy sale items.

• B

Once I paid 35 cents for 38.25 worth of groceries. I used the (buy one get one) sale and also coupons that were doubled or tripled.

• My mom and I were just discussing this earlier this week! I want to know the secret too!

My best guess is to hit up multiple stores for who has the best deals, only buy what you have coupons for and go to a place that doubles them. Buy "buy one get one free" meats and sales.

going online helps and you can print them out from there.. but you do have to sign up for a lot of things, but most of them are free.

getting all the papers you can that have coupons in them.. sitting down once a week and planning it out..

going online to the store near you and looking if they have online coupons you can print out.

• papaw

Figure wages on how much time she spent doing that and she loses!