what do you think about the confederate flag?

tell me what your opinion is on the confederate flag and why

Best Answer

I think its wrong for people to call it racism when you display a confederate flag or to claim your ancestors owned slaves.

My parents and grandparents always taught me BOTH sides of the war, I dont think many people are open minded about that now. some of the Union soldiers owned slaves as well as confederates, some confederates were completely against slavery...hate CRIMES (IE Assult) are one thing that should be punished...but I think people should be able to display what ever flag they want and say what they want. obviously none of these people have heard of 'herratge not hate!'

Well, there were actually several different Confederate flags. The Flag that everyone is referring to is the Second Confederate Navy Jack. The Design of the Flag (the X with 13 Stars) was simply to ease confusion that took place on the Battlefield due to the first few Confederate flags being very similar to the Union Flags. That in mind, the flag at that point didn't really have a significant meaning due to there being so many predecessors. What the debate is and has been for over 70 years, is what it stands for today. Supporters of the Flag will tell you that it represents Southern Sovereignty, Independence and Rebellion. The problem comes with the groups that associate their selves with the flag. Groups like the KKK, Neo-Nazi's, Aryan Nations proudly display the flag and bring their Racist and hate based views into the equation. Since the Civil Rights Movement, the flag has taken on a very negative role and will forever continue to resonate hatred and racism in the minds of many.

My personal opinion of the flag -

I am a historian and my favorite period is the Civil War. I suppose that if the people who support this flag are avid historians and can break down the history of the flag, as I have above, then I see no problem with their appreciation of it. However, I do not think that is the case 99% of the time and that people hide behind the facade of a meaning they don't comprehend, meanwhile are really projecting racism and hatred. I think if people really wanted to show their support for Southern culture, there are better ways of doing it than waving a symbol of Racism and Hatred. That would be like people waving around a Nazi Swastika, claiming that they are not in fact Nazi's or anti-semites, they are just proud of their National Socialist Culture...

I dont think so.....

Source(s): My Brain

It is a part of history.....The Battle flag of Northern Virginia is the object of disfavor. I am A southerner and live in the south but am not blind to the turning of this flag into a hate filled sign. I am a rebel but so are many people that just don't like the statusquo. If you don't like it that is fine just ignore it. Stop bringing it up constantly and shoving it into every ones face. The media is responsible for goading the poor unfortunates that lack education understand. Yes civil right are an on going issue but stop blaming your inability to say what;s on your mind in a civil way and without riots.

It symbolizes racism, slavery & oppression. I understand that some people refuse to recognize this fact but they are blind to the feelings of the majority.

its funny when peter griffin paints it on the back window of his car. thats my only knowledge of that flag

• holla

I like the name "stars and bars". I don't really like the design itself and I definitely don't like the message!

Pretty design, but I don't like what it stands for.