What does cardamom taste similar to?

I don't believe I have ever tasted or seen that spice for sale anywhere

Favorite Answer

Growing up with a Finnish grandmother I learned to love and appreciate cardamom at an early age ... in the way that it is used for sweets anyway. In Scandinavia cardamom is used for sweets whereas in India it is used primarily for savory dishes

The taste is unique, to be sure. It is very strong and aromatic. It has a spicy, herbal, citrusy character and goes very well with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, clove, and other aromatic spices without really tasting anything like them. Also with citrus such as preserved lemons, lemon or orange zest, etc. It's one of my favorite spices. I always add a pinch or a pod to my coffee grinds for that childhood memory of my grandmother. Pods and even ground cardamom can be quite expensive, but it will keep for a while (especially the pods) stored air-tight in a cool, dry place and is worth the price.

Cardamom Taste

Cardamom Flavor

• D

I've seen Cardamom in stores in the specialty spice area, you could check Whole Foods or New Seasons as well. I love the taste but there's nothing really like it. It's almost "cool" like Anise, but with a spice twist, not hot. Any recipies I've used with Cardamom usually include cinamon and cloves as well, to give you an idea of where it fits. I fist found cardamom in a lamb dish in an Indian restaurant.

It really has its very own taste spicy strong taste. It is part of the ginger family, but I don't think it tastes like ginger at all. I would say that it plays in a role similar to, and complementary of, cinnamon. It is in desserts and warm spicy hot drinks. I made cardamom scones and they were delicious! A little bit goes a long way. You may have to go to a health food or specialty supermarket to find it.

Good luck with it! :-)

More info is listed below:

Cardamom has a spiced rum, sweet and peppery aroma to the nose. The taste has top notes of pre-ripe citrus, mid-tones of ginger, and base notes of cinnamon. The follow through is slightly acidic. It is comparatively like a Cabernet that happens to have a smoked cherry blossom nose, top-mid-btm transitional from vanilla bean top, asparagus mid, dried apricot bottom, with a full mouth feel follow-through that leaves you wanting for more. If you want to know what cardamom tastes like the best thing to do is; spend $5, and put some in your spice rack.

• Luana3 years agoReport

Me too. I bought some Indian ice cream-like dessert, I came away thinking it was perfumy though, really much.

RE:

What does cardamom taste similar to?

Source(s): cardamom taste similar to: https://trimurl.im/a87/what-does-cardamom-taste-si...

Cardamom is used a LOT in Indian dishes. Black and green varieties. Try this simple recipe for Pullao -

for 1.5 cups of basmati rice

little oil in sauce pan

6 peppercorns (black or mixed as you like, leave them whole)

1 bay leaf

4 green whole cardamoms

Let this warm on medium burner. Add the 1.5 cups of basmati rice, let it fry up a little to increase the nutty flavor of the rice. Add 2 cups of water, 1/4 cup of golden raisins, 1/4 cup of whole unsalted almonds. Cover and cook on low heat about 15 min. Turn off burner but do not remove pan from hot burner. I put several hot pads on top of the pan to hold in the steam. After 15 min more, remove lid, fluff rice, remove bay leaf and whole cardamom pods. ENJOY!!

Cardamom taste a little bitter to me you can get it at your supermarket for approx. 10 buck

• Gary V

Cardamom is available at our local grocery store in the bulk section. They are pale green and look rather like a plump pumpkin seed with a soft pithy exterior. I love them in Chai tea, but I've gotten some new ideas thanks to your question. I can't explain the flavor other than "exotic", unique, very pleasant. , try it you will love it!

Source(s): personal experience