We live in Michigan.. can we get out of our lease if my husband lost his job?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • LILL
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It is not the landlords fault, problem or concern that your hubby lost his job. No state laws in the country allow you to break your lease under such circumstances.

• Ti
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

No, a lease is a binding contract between you and your landlord. Read it to find out if there is a way that you can buy out of the lease if you choose to move before the term of the lease ends.

• 1 decade ago

Ask the landlord if you can find a suitable renter who can come in and take over your lease. Other than that, I don't think there's much you can do unless your landlord is very cool and will let you break it. If you've been with them long and have a good relationship (rent paid on time etc), I think they will help you.

Good luck and sorry about your husband's job. I live in MI too.

• 1 decade ago

Check your lease - there may a clause for protection. Also check your local tenant's law. Unfortunately, you're most likely going to have to work this out with the landlord. They won't automatically give you a free out, even if you're in a bad situation.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Only if your lease has a clause covering loss of income.

• wizjp
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Only if you wrote that into the lease.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ALL your answers are in your lease if you'd bother to READ it!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sure, just quit paying it. Just remember one rule: Don't go destitute trying to pay your bills. Pride kills finances. You and your family come first. You will need the money to sustain yourself.

• 1 decade ago

Nope.

• 1 decade ago

of course you can get out of it....you will have to pay the remainder of it in cash....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.