Christians, what does it mean to "confess that Jesus Christ is Lord" according to Philippians 2:5-11?

I ask because of this question I answered 24 hours ago: Do Jehovah's Witnesses confess Jesus Christ as Lord in word and deed?

So what does it mean to confess Jesus Christ as Lord, in the way that the first century Christians did?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

To call him Lord is to worship him as the only Lord. No Christian can have two Lords, any more than they can have two Masters. "Yet for us there is to us one God the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live." (1 Cor 8:6) "...one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all..." (Eph 4:5)

Notice the astonishing repetition of "from whom all things came and for whom/through whom we live", applying this both to God and to the Lord Jesus Christ? The equality here is breath-taking. Our one God is our one Lord. Those first century Christians did not worship two separate gods - a Big God and a little god. They called upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ - in worship - which was exactly the same as to call upon the name of Jehovah - in worship. No polytheism, because there can only be one true Lord who is the one true God.

One of the most scurrilous deceptions carried out in the JW New World Translation is the way they have changed 'Lord' to 'Jehovah' in Acts 2:21, and all because they believe they can have two Lords. Here Joel's prophecy about the Holy Spirit being poured out in the last days is quoted: "And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." This is worship. God is not going to save anyone who refuses to worship him! But the application by Peter is to the Lord Jesus Christ! Just read verses 38-39. The JWs cannot have this, so they give the impression that it is calling upon Jehovah's name that results in salvation. No. It is calling worshipfully upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ that results in salvation.

First century Christians called upon the name of the Lord - Jesus Christ - as an act of worship. JWs refuse to worship Christ. The Lordship of Christ is an ascription of his deity, so there is the difference between confessing Christ as Lord the biblical way, and the unbiblical way.

• 1 decade ago

Jehovah's Witnesses cannot profess Jesus is Lord. "No one can say 'Jesus is Lord' except by the Holy Spirit'" (I Cor 12:3) The Watchtower is the enslaving master of the Jehovah's Witnesses. The Jehovah's Witnesses are blind to their own slavish devotion and are a regarder of persons that they have as master.

Who is the food of the true and real Christian and how is it provided? Jesus is the bread being every Word of God and the provision is through the person of the Holy Spirit.

Without the Holy Spirit the Jehovah's Witnesses are unable to see that Jesus is Lord.

How profound the simple statement, "My Lord and My God".

• 1 decade ago

I wonder if WBTS /Jehovah Witnesses look closely where Paul was drawing his thoughts from?

Paul gives a clear understanding in Phil. 2:5-11, which was easily understood by the early Christians, because it came from Isa 45:21-23 !!.

Lets just begin with Pauls quote of Isaiah 45:21-23 he uses in Phil 2:10-11 as the basis for recognizing who the Savior is.....Jehovah God

Isaiah 45:21ff Jehovah says ".....there is no God beside me, a just God and a Saviour, there is none beside me Look unto me and be saved, all the ends of the earth for I am God and ther is none else.....that unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall confess.............."

v25 In the LORD shall all the seed of Israel be justified and shall glory

Paul makes the clear connection in Phil 2:11 both to Jesus being savior and Lord, and being Jehovah God.........and to confess that in faith/belief brings salvation

How then can the WBTS separate, mistranslate what Paul says concerning Jesus Christ when the first century Christians understood the connection to Jehovah God so perfectly ?

• 4 years ago

It doesn't make sense does it? That's the problem with the trinity doctrine! God cannot lie so when Jesus said this it didn't mean that God actually had forsaken him, it was because the pain was going on for so long and he desired relief Titus 1:2 - "upon the basis of a hope of the everlasting life which God, who cannot lie, promised before times long lasting" Re: other responses...11 So that is why God lets an operation of error go to them, that they may get to believing the lie (New World Translation) It does NOT mean God manufactured the lie, he LET the lie go to them (implying that the lie did not originate with Him).,..there is a difference. Also, God didnt lie when he told Adam & Eve that they would die...they did. I mean, they are not alive today are they? Humans were designed to live forever on earth so when God said they would die he meant that the eternal life they would have enjoyed would cease.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It is interesting that Philippians 1:5-11 gives a good definition of confess as Paul writes to the Philippians. a

Philippians 1:5-11

5 For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now;

6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

7 Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace.

8 For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ.

9 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;

10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ.

11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Paul gets quite specific that confess is to live in Christ with the mind of Christ and to publicly proclaim (Paul uses perform) not just to one another but to others throughout his writing even unto torture and death.

This does not mean be offensive or pushy or to go where there is no reception even Jesus said walk away and dust off. But if there is reception be not afraid to announce and teach.

Note in verse 11 of chapter 1 "be sincere and without offense". The Koine Greek 'without offense' has the meaning that a person should have a character and action that can not be used as a negative criticism or 'do not cause grief in others'. 'Sincere' in Kn. Gr. is 'pure' in the sense of 'free from falsehoods'.

A person that can 'only' say Jesus is Lord has not learned enough and needs to stay in the Word until they can...

A note-

In verse 7 of the first chapter the word 'defense' is used and the Greek is 'apologia', from which we get 'Apologetics'

The words of the Holy Spirit come alive when the letter is examined in the Greek.

• 1 decade ago

Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe jesus to be the lord, but an apostle or a prophet or something.

confess is such a strange word, its like you are hiding some sort of secret or something... when in fact you are not.. so I don't like the term anyway.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well,the bible is very precise.

Romans 10:9 says we have to confess that Jesus is Lord, NOT confess that Jesus is Saviour BUT when you confess that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, YOU WILL BE SAVED & Jesus then becomes your Saviour.

• Fuzzy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Paul told us; he said, (translation dependent) that to live was Christ and to die gain. (Phil 1:21)

A dedicated slave lives to serve his master, and our master that we should live for is Christ. He is not simply a telephone wire, a connection, to God. Rather, he is what we exist to serve, wholeheartedly.

We have a duality of faith for certain; we know that God is the Almighty Jehovah who is worshiped. But, our Lord is Christ, our owner is Christ - he is whom we obey, whom we live for. Because Christ obeys and teaches God's things, we also through Christ are in compliance with God's requirements.

Those requirements are that we live for Christ and are 100% obedient to Christ's commandments by which we live and gain life eternal.

As it says in Romans 10:9-17, how can people come to believe unless they are told, unless someone is sent out to preach. Well, as it says in 9, what we confess is that Christ is Lord, and that God resurrected this our Mighty Lord.

It is Christ to whom we are married, be we man or woman in this life. Christ is our head, he is our shepherd, our caretaker and the one who leads us in ways everlasting.

But, unless we obey his edicts there is only damnation to all disobedient ones, the ones practicing disobedience.

• Ken
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

To understand this, we need to compare scripture with scripture. It also helps to check the orginal word used for this. When checking the Greek we find that "Lord" comes from kyrios meaning the owner; one who has control of the person, the master, he to whom a person or thing belongs, about which he has power of deciding; master, lord,

this title is given to: God, the Messiah

Note that the NWT states in Jude 4 "our only Owner and Lord, Jesus Christ. " Although kyrios is used here, it is translated lord although the same word is translated Jehovah in the next verse.

More revealing is verse 14 in the NWT

14 Yes, the seventh one [in line] from Adam, E´noch, prophesied also regarding them, when he said: “Look! Jehovah came with his holy myriads, 15 to execute judgment against all, and to convict all the ungodly concerning all their ungodly deeds that they did in an ungodly way, and concerning all the shocking things that ungodly sinners spoke against him.”

There as never been a time in history where this took place so Jehovah did not come with his holy myriads...YET but we do see JESUS coming in power and great glory with His hosts in Revelations

The KJV states the Lord cometh to show it is yet to happen but the NWT sure does not want anyone to connect it with Revelation 19:11-16

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=rev%20...

When we check we can find kyrios is used for GOD in Matt1: 20, 1:22 Matt 4:7 and dozens of other places. It is also used to refer to Jesus Christ. In the NWT, when it refers to GOD, it is always translated Jehovah but when it is clear that it refers to Christ, they change the rules of translation to say lord.

Paul's practice was to substitute "kurios" for the tetragrammaton (YHWH - ) when he quoted the Old Testament. Since we see that the phrase "call upon the name of the Lord" is used only of God in the Old Testament, it is fair to say that the phrase applies to Jesus in 1 Cor. 1:2.

Does this all really matter? It sure does beause it WILL cost you your salvation! (I should say it will keep you from having salvation)

1 John 4:1-3

1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Many athesit will admit a man named Jesus lived so this can not mean that we believe Jesus existed. Compared with:

I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins. John 8:24

and we find that it is by the Holy Spirit we are able to reconize that Jesus IS Jehovah. Apart from that, there is NO hope of having eternal life.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Romans 10:9,10. " That if you will believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead and confess Jesus as Lord, you will be saved. For with the heart man believes and with the mouth we confess to salvation". Jesus said, " With your words are you justified and with your words are you condemned.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.