Why do people say meditation is evil and that you can let evil spirits in your soul?

Update:

Is it possible that demons will only invade if you believe they will? and maybe JUST MAYBE.. demons only exist if you believe they do?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A passive mindset is much like hypnosis - you are opening yourself to control from an outside source, and God will not operate in you without your active cooperation; but demons will.

• Steve
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

the existence or non-existence of demons has nothing to do with what you believe. Just the same as the existence of rocks is not dependent on your belief in them.

There are two reasons why people say you will get possessed.

1. Protection of their own religious doctrine (ie. all other doctrines are from Satan and ours is the only true one.)

2. Many meditation resources are created as products to sell. There is no way of 'quality controlling' these products with bodies like the FDA and so anything can be sold on the market. Some types of meditation may have a detrimental effect on individuals and these effects may be interpreted by religious people as demonic possessions.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

At 12 years old Jesus disappeared from the middle east, there are documented stories of a man traveling to Nepal and other far eastern holy places, this man learned their ways and also meditated, his appearance was that of Jesus, or his real name Yeshua Ben Hur/Yosef.

He returned to the middle east a changed man, he was wiser and more in touch with the world around him, as a child he had none of this, he was now able to heal, and even deal with physical pain.

The bible has no explanation of where he went, so the bible is very unreliable, especially if it misses out its protagonist/hero.

Makes you wonder what else the bible misses out.

• 5 years ago

If your meditating on the word of God then it is a shield that demons can't stand. You recite and repeat words like I bind you, I rebuke you, in the name of jesus and these are powerful words. When you meditate on your own you can unconsciously allow a demon or demons to enter your home, your body, your mind, attack your family or friends. So dont do it. If you need counseling be wide awake and talk to someone.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

there are many different ways to meditate...the way that is dangerous is to empty oneself and be open ..the bible teaches to meditate and pray upon the word of God..if you dwell on the scripture love your wife as christ loved the church and gave himsefl up for her..you will find ways to express love afirmation, selflessness.. you will sacrifice your desires to benifiet your spouse..this type of meditation is good..but when you open your mind and attempt to get an alterred state of consciousness this is weakening a barrier between you and demonic influence. look up spirit guides, these are demonic and enter through meditation.

• 1 decade ago

Ignorant people say this because they do not understand that there is a long history of meditation in the Christian religion. Some people with no religion or guidance use it and get in trouble. But Buddhist, Christian monks and nuns have used meditation as a way to contemplation of God. The great mystic Saints did this. One does not do it however without proper instruction and a wise spiritual adviser.

I think it was St. Teresa of Avila who wrote a book explaining the dangers. Mostly they are that you will go insane by getting lost in your own mind. This is why one follows rules that have been laid down by those who have been there before you and have the wisdom to teach..

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I am not sure I have never heard this.

But when you asto project or anything you should sheild yourself.

These things can happen.

Be careful what you play with.

They are true teachers but many charlatons also.

Source(s): Newell are you serious. The sad part is I bet you are.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because they are ignorant and superstitious.

As you can see by many of the answers below, they have no understanding of what meditation is, just lies they've been told.

• 1 decade ago

Some people want the practice of religion to be very formal and rigid, and are downright paranoid about the devil and evil spirits. I figure these are mostly the ones that struggle with temptations and have emotional problems as a result.

I'll take the advice of Liza Doolittle's father:

"With a little bit of luck, when temptation calls you'll give right in."

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because they don't know what they are talking about about.

I hear the voice of a spirit that claims to be God.

He claims to be the only spirit in the cosmos.

That means that 'evil spirit' is an invalid term, and then so is 'good' spirit.

There is only one spirit, and He is already inside of you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.