John Marshall - economic development?

I am aware that John Marshall made decisions favoring manufacturing/business.. but I do not understand this argument: "Many of Marshall's decisions aided the economic development of the country in specific ways, but his chief contribution lay in his broadly national view of economic affairs. His... show more I am aware that John Marshall made decisions favoring manufacturing/business.. but I do not understand this argument: "Many of Marshall's decisions aided the economic development of the country in specific ways, but his chief contribution lay in his broadly national view of economic affairs. His nationalism enabled him to add form and substance to Hamilton's vision of the economic future of the United States."

What does this passage from my textbook mean? The specific ways must refer to his rulings in cases like McCulloch v. Maryland & Gibbons v. Ogden, but exactly what is a "broadly national view," and how can Marshall be considered a nationalist?