krazykat asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Advice on getting a dog in my situation?

I'm a freshman in high school with a sister in college and I have a bit of a predicament. I really want to get a dog and have wanted one since third grade. Now my parents have now agreed to get me one and now I'm feeling a bit nervous. I do not know what to do because in about 4 years I'll be going to college and my parents are moving back to our country of origin.

Should I:

Get a puppy for those four years and let someone else take care of it until I can get an apartment of some sort?

or

Get an adult dog

or

Have a dog in foster care

I'm feeling very nervous about this, it's been my dream to have a dog since I was a small child, and now that the chance has finally come, I need to make this work. Also any advice on what type of dog to get is also welcome. Thank You!!

Favorite Answer

I know this feeling well... For starters, fostering is amazing! be ready though. You bond tightly and it is hard when the dog gets adopted, but if you look at it like me, you are saving so many lives and giving dogs who would otherwise be put down a decent chance in life, even if their future isn't with you.

The thing about going off to college is that it ain't cheap. and pet friendly places are hard to find and usually expensive to get. Don't let that deter you though. If you have the finances and the time, it is very much worth it. I have my 2 dogs with me at college and i wouldn't change that. It is harder when you're going to school though. you don't really have anyone to help you out, especially if your parents are moving. And don't think that it is easy to leave your dog while you look for a place. it took me a full semester to find a place and i was lost without my monsters.

It depends on how active you are. first off, the dog should be crate trained--trust me, it helps so much when you are away at class. If you are extremely active and go hiking and running and stuff i would say a lab, or a pit bull, or a spaniel. (I have 2 pits in a 1 bedroom apartment and mine run with the bike and we go to the river 3 times a week). That's just me though. I happen to like to be busy, i am a 20 credit student with all A's, the dogs, a full time shelter volunteer, and a proud member of the ROTC program.

I would highly suggest fostering dogs for the time being (until you find a pet friendly place to live and settle after college). If you adopt a puppy, you can't guarantee that someone will be able to watch him when you go away to college. There's also no way to guarantee the same thing if you adopt an adult dog.

But, if you foster, you get to help more dogs and gain a lot of experience working with different kinds of dogs. This way you'll be prepared to make a decision about adoption (regarding breed, age, and energy level of a dog) when you have a pet friendly housing situation and accommodating lifestyle.

I fostered dogs for three years before I adopted my own. I really enjoyed the experience; being able to take a dog out of a bad situation and helping them find a happy home is immensely rewarding. I still foster and still love it; my most recent foster went to her new home this past Saturday and, although I miss her, I know she went to a great situation that suited her perfectly. So I couldn't be happier for her.

Source(s): I am an animal rescuer in NYC

I wouldn't advise getting one in your situation. Having a dog is a lifetime commitment. You should make sure that you are able to keep it through it's entire life. There are far more dogs that need homes than people who are willing to own one. There are 450ppl born in the US every hour, and there are 3000dogs/cats born every hour in the US. There are not nearly enough homes for them all and it would be a shame to have to give up your dog after owning it for 4 years.

BUT that's just my opinion.

Fostering is AMAZING! you would be doing a world of good and getting an animal out of a stressful shelter environment while it finds a new home.

IF you decide to get one, get a dog that would do well in an apartment [great danes are good appartment dogs-believe it or not. Be careful if you look into getting small dogs, they might be small but some require more exercise than they can get in an appartment]and keep in mind that college is a busy time and you may not have excess amounts of time to spend with a dog.

Source(s): worked in a shelter, is a vet tech student

Often you can find people to foster animals for short periods, or you can find an apt where you can have a dog, so think small. Many apartments require a dog to be under a certain weight. You want one that isn't overly hyper, so you don't need a puppy. My suggestion is an English Bulldog. Often rescues have them inexpensive. Depending where you are, I have a few for $100 that are retired from breeding. Another good dog would be an older mutt. Remember, long haired dogs require professional grooming so that adds expense.

• ?

The canines for sure had a limp from the previous coincidence, that's why they did the x-rays. Did you have his leg set by a vet while that occurred? If not, that is probably the reason of the animal cruelty can charge. i don't see any reason the animal administration officer or a glance after might lie in regards to the canines getting hit back--what do they must benefit here? in case you experience the full difficulty is fraudulent, ask for an itemized breakdown of the $471, take it to a various vet & ask if those are honest rates. without understanding who the canines belonged to, that they had no way of understanding the place to discover any previously-taken x-rays. in case you have the money for the large & treating the canines's leg properly, then pay it. in case you do not intend on getting scientific help to your canines, then he's extra helpful off on the look after.