Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Chris asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 decade ago

i was put on collections!?

I was put on collections 3 years ago when i was 17..i went to the hospital and signed no papers..nor did they ask for any information from me..they got all the information from my mom..3 years later i notice ive been put on collection for something i had no idea about..can i do anything about this?

5 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    If you were 17 then you were a minor and it is your parents responsibility to pay the medical bills.

    Send a letter to the credit bureaus disputing the account as you were a minor child at the time of service.

  • 1 decade ago

    Yes, but not for the reasons that you offer. If you were 17 at the time, then you are not responsible for the bill. That reason, and that reason only, gives you a way to fight the collection.

    Even if you had signed something, you could still fight the collection, because a 17-year-old is not legally competent to enter into a contract unless the 17-year-old is an emancipated minor.

    Had you been 18, you would be responsible for your own hospital bills, even if you were unconscious at the time and could not sign or know anything.

  • 1 decade ago

    Since you were a minor your mother would have been responsible for the bill. In most states a person 17 can not enter into a legally binding contract. You may not be liable due to your age. You need to check the information that was given to the hospital and see how the bill was put in your name. The other point is if you didn't sign any papers you did not give them the authority to treat you and are not responsible. You need to have a long talk with your mother about this one and find out what happened and who she made responsible for the bill before you do anything.

  • Scott
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    Disputes it with the collection agency. Request validation of the debt. Who did your mom put down on the form (I'm thinking she put all your information instead of hers!). You can explain in your letter that you were a minor and therefore weren't responsible for this bill. I would talk with your mother and you could (if you want) ask her to pay that since she was supposed to do that a long time ago.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

    hummmm....well instead of getting a book shelf, get a display unit. they come in all sizes. and when i want to make space i usually chuck out some things that i haven't used in the past three months, but if i know i want to keep it, i store the stuff in a shoe box and put it in my closet. also if you can move your room around to try to make more space, it'll look better and bigger.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.