Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 1 decade ago

How do you do alt codes on a netbook?

I just got a new net book, and I'm wondering how to do alt codes because there's no number pad, only the line above the letters...

Favorite Answer

I looked at a keyboard for the netbook and, although there is an "Fn" key, I didn't see the usual number keys like on a regular laptop. You could see if they combined the function with the regular number keys:

Alt + Fn + regular number at top.

See if that makes an Alt symbol. Normally, you use the Fn key to enable the number key pad. Now it is just a matter to find if there are keys that will function as a number pad so you can use the Alt + Fn + number combo.

Might look, if you have Windows, to see if the Character Map is available as you can use that to make symbols on the Netbook.

How to Use the "Character Map" in Windows:

Another method is to use the "Character Map" to copy and paste the required symbols. In Windows (XP) you'll find the Character Map by clicking on the Windows Start Menu, then All Programs, then Accessories, System Tools and Character Map. The Character Map box pops up.

Choose the font you wish to use from the drop-down menu at the top. Place your curser where you'd like to insert the symbol, click on the symbol you wish to insert, click on the Select Button, then the Copy Button and then paste the symbol onto your page (using Edit, Paste or the "Control v" shortcut). You'll also see the Alt Key shortcut at the bottom of the Character Map, for future reference.

Might check the Help Menu and type in Alt Codes.

Ron

Unfortunately, you can't. :(

I've been searching for something to do that but I haven't found anything. Best to just buy an external USB Numpad.

Can you elaborate?