Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How can you factor out x^2+x+1 ?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The factors you require need to add together to make 1 and multiply together to equal 1, this is a hard problem though and if we run the coefficients through the determinant (b^2 - 4ac) we get a negative value which means we will need to use imaginary numbers. It is a lot easier in this case to use the quadratic formula but I will factor it out by making a perfect square as you asked for it to be factorised.

(x+1/2)^2+1/2=0

(x+1/2)^2=-1/2

(x+1/2) = +/- sqrt(-1/2)

(x+1/2)= +/- i.sqrt(1/2)

x = -1/2 +/- i.sqrt(1/2)

Where i is the square root of -1 or the imaginary number

NOTE: The above answers that say (x+1)^2 is a factor of this equation are WRONG. (x+1)^2 factors out to be x^2 + 2x + 1 and hence the b term is 1x greater than you want. Just a word of warning...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

(x+1)(x+1)

or

(x+1)^2

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

okay so i had an answers and then i read VVV guys answer and he's write. i totally screwed up. (x=)^2 is wrong. cuz the 1 and 1 equals 2x, not one x. my mistake. haha.

• 1 decade ago

That is not factorable!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

By paying attention in math class.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

use the quadratic formula

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.