RHH: My top 10 most overrated hip hop albums (Rate, Hate, Debate)?

Truly's question got me thinking about making this list, and I thought it might provoke a good discussion....

1. Life After Death

2. The Marshall Mathers LP

3. Stillmatic

4. The Blueprint

5. It Was Written

6. All Eyez on Me

7. Champion Sound

8. The Chronic

9. Madvillainy

10. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

Hon. mention to Doggystyle and Raising Hell

By no means am I saying any of these are bad albums (except for Champion Sound which is why it's so high on my list), but IMO the praise these albums receive from hip-hop fans is WAY higher than the quality of music.

And I'm obviously not including flavour of the month albums like The Carter III which will fade into obscurity in a few years like Nelly's Country Grammar did.

Thoughts?

The thing with Champion Sound is that Madlib and J Dilla are terrible rappers. They have distracting flows, simple rhymes, and nothing they say has much substance. Now people are willing to overlook that because they are great producers, but the thing that gets me about Champion Sound is that it is some of the weakest studio-album production from both of them.

The Red and React are the only real standout beats on a 19-track effort from two producers who fall on most fans top 10 list.

People praise it based on the names it's associated with and not the music. Which was just not up to par.

• Favorite Answer

1. I thought Ready to Die was overrated also, I'm not into my B.I.G- agree

2. The MMLP- I don't think people overrate it that much, and its good- disagree

3. Stillmatic- Again, I don't think people overrate it that much. But its not up to Nas' standards- disagree

4. The Blueprint- Agree, Jay was just OK on this album, not a classic

5. It Was Written- disagree, it has The Message- enough said

6. All Eyez On Me- I honestly think Stricktly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z was better- agree

7. Don't know of it

8. The Chronic- Disagree- proved G Funk was here to stay, although 2001 is so much better

9. Haven't listened

10. What that guy said on that Q earlier on that you answered, he makes a good arguement on how its overrated. I somewhat agree

1. Life After Death

Agree. Its got a handful of great songs. A two disc album should have more than a handful.

2. The Marshall Mathers LP

Don't know if I agree or not. I probably do agree, because Em gets way too much credit for everything he does.

3. Stillmatic

Agree and disagree. It was a great album, but it wasn't anything really groundbreaking.

4. The Blueprint

Same as Stillmatic.

5. It Was Written

Disagree. If it were hailed as a mafioso masterpiece I would agree, but as a well rounded sophomore effort its great.

6. All Eyez on Me

Agree. There is no reason why this should be hailed as the pinnacle achievement of hip hop.

7. Champion Sound

Agree. Not up to par with those involved. Although we do get the introduction of Guilty Simpson.

8. The Chronic

Agree. I understand its ranking in terms of influence, but its really not that great, especially when compared to 2001.

9. Madvillainy

Agree and disagree. Doom kind of splits hip hop fans already, so the fact that Madvillainy receives the praise it does doesn't help much. I like the album, but its nothing new for Doom, aside from production and shorter songs.

10. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

Disagree. The real pinnacle of mafioso hip hop. Nuff said.

And I agree with the honorable mentions too.

1. Life After Death = Great album that if anything should get more praise

2. Marshall Mathers LP = Overrated. Anyone who was listening to rap back then knows that album was not universally praised when it first came out. It was extremely controversial.

3. Stillmatic = Overrated. The only reason people like it so much is because of how good it looks in comparison to Nastradamus

4. The Blueprint = Overrated. Really not that great, I don't know what else to say

5. It Was Written = Overrated. I can't believe some people think this album was better than Illmatic. Seriously

6. All Eyez On Me = Underrated. So many people say this album is overrated that its become underrated. All Eyez on Me was a great album and IMO was one of the best albums of 1996. I don't really see how its overrated. Maybe from a lyrical standpoint, but certainly not from an overall standpoint.

7. Champion Sound = Rated perfectly. How can an album be overrated when hardly anyone ever talks about it?

8. The Chronic = Overrated. Actually the Chronic is a really dope album, but yeah it is far from the best album ever (which many people claim it is).

9. Madvillainy = Overrated. Again, this is a good album, but its not even close to as good as people say it is.

10. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx = Rated perfectly. Definitely one of the best albums of the 90's. It gets a lot of love because it deserves it.

My list would most likely go:

1. Rakim - Paid In Full

2. J-Dilla - Donuts

3. J-Dilla - The Shining

4. Nas - Illmatic

5. Kanye West - The College Dropout

6. Outkast - Aquemini

7. A Tribe Called Quest - Peoples Instinctive Travels and The Paths Of Rhythm

8. Blackstar - Blackstar

9. Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt

10. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP

1. Great album. I'm not sure why it gets so much hate. It wasn't as good as Ready To Die and it had more filler, but it still had some great songs (10 Crack Commandments, Sky's The Limit, Kick In The Door, I Got A Story To Tell, Last Day, Long Kiss Goodnight, My Downfall, N*ggas Bleed, Notorious Thugs, Somebody's Gotta Die, What's Beef?, You're Nobody, etc.). I don't think an album with at least 12 great tracks can be overrated, but I'm sure most people won't agree that these are great songs, so to each his own.

2. I think this was Em's best album, but I've heard people call it the greatest rap album of all time, and I think it may have went diamond, so I can see why you would call it overrated.

3. I agree. It was a good album, even great at times, but it wasn't what people make it out to be.

4. I agree. See #3.

5. I thought It Was Written was a great album. Everyone I know was completely disappointed with it when it dropped because it wasn't a carbon copy of Illmatic, so I always thought it was underrated.

6. I agree. See #3.

7. I agree. Madlib and J Dilla were both below average rappers, and I think they would both admit that. You can't deny that the production was dope, but I would have preferred much more guest appearances than hearing them two on the mic. Still a good album, but I would call it overrated too.

8. I agree and I don't. That album is filled with classic tracks throughout, but I prefer 2001 over it and most people think I'm crazy when I say that. I actually prefer a lot of albums over it, but I still think it was a great album.

9. I agree, and I feel the same way about every MF DOOM release. I like a lot of his songs, but I think people give him way too much credit because his flow and style is different. He always has great production and that might be his best album production wise, but I still think the album is overrated. I may be biased because I was introduced to DOOM by a friend who told me he was the greatest lyricist who he ever heard on the mic so you could imagine my disappointment. I grew to appreciate him, and he says some slick sh*t from time to time, but he comes nowhere near my Top 50.

10. I strongly disagree.

I think Doggystyle and Raising Hell are both great albums and I actually don't see them mentioned much when people (in this section) talk about their favorite albums or the greatest albums, so I disagree.

Well, I feel in some ways that these albums are rated too highly than their worth. I don't doubt the albums and DO think that they are, indeed, great, but I don't make it known as an undeniable fact. The Chronic and Doggystyle are indeed classic albums, especially since The Chronic helped introduce us to some acts that were relatively unknown at the time. Kurupt, Daz, Snoop, Lady of Rage, no denying that it paved the way for them, same with Dre and his production skills. Also, Stillmatic was great, but I don't think it's anywhere as great as Illmatic. The one I can agree with entirely is The Marshall Mathers LP. I don't dislike Eminem, but in many ways, I feel people praise him more for the fact that he's white. He's talented, I have to admit that, but I still laugh and wonder about the days when I used to see his CD in a CD book/case with a majority of non-rap CDs but then come across an Eminem CD. Great album, but sort of overrated in my opinion. Personally, it's a matter of opinion, and I highly respect yours.

• Talib

I agree on every album but Madvilliany and Champion Sound. I agree Madvilliany is slightly overrated but I think it's a solid album, DOOM's best also features some of Madlib's best production. As for Champion Sound, I thought it was a more than solid album from a production standpoint, I could do without the lyrics. I still haven't seen much mention of it in the first place so I don't see why it made the list.

I hate 1, disagree with 5, and disagree with 10. When I read this question, I knew exactly what you were going to put at number 1. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one right there (if you recall, I asked a question earlier about it being underrated).

Also OB4CL is one of the most influential albums of its genre (mafioso) so I don't think its overrated.

I agree with All Eyez on Me, the Blueprint, MMLP, and Stillmatic.

It Was Written, OB4CL, Stillmatic, The Chronic, Madvillainy.

They are just not overrated period.

I never heard Champion Sound mention on any lists so I don't know why that is even up there.

And I don't know about The Blueprint.

Source(s): Well you got two right. edit: my bad, 3.
  • ?usten

Nah man, I gotta disagree with Stillmatic. As much as the cover of the album gives it a bad look, it's been living in Illmatic's shadow forever. If anything, I find Stillmatic much easier to listen to.

Stillmatic shouldn't be on that list, let alone have the three spot...

Neither should Blueprint. The Blueprint > Reasonable Doubt

But to disprove your argument, 8/10 of those albums are strictly mainstream and more accessible, so the masses are more likely to have heard of them. Over-mentioned would be more appropriate.

I think this post would be better if it was all underground releases.