Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 decade ago

What should I do in this situation?

K i was going through my documents and found one I did not know i made. I clicked on it and found it was my brother's conversation with another guy. I am 16 years old and my brother is almost 18. It was a gay conversation about goin on webcam with eachother and stuff but near the end my bro was sayin that he couldn't decide if he was gay and ended up sayin he is straight. I belive this is a cover up and think i Should warn my parents. What do you think i should do????

Favorite Answer

covering up what?

Warn them of what?

Do they think being gay is either catching or something to be hidden?

• Well, it's your brother's business. Being a homosexual is just another choice of lifestyle for someone and it can be a very sensitive subject to some people. I say let your brother tell whoever he likes. Although it may sound like a cover up, it could be a true decision he made.

So just let your brother decide whether or not he should tell his parents. If you feel uncomfortable about it, just ask your brother about it or purposefully lead your brother into a conversation about it.

Hope I helped!! :P

Source(s): DESU~!!

I would be clear with your parents not to make it a "big deal" but I would let them know so they could have a heart-to-heart with him at the appropriate time. Then, if something like that should happen again your brother would be aptly prepared and not to be taken advantage of.

It's really a hard situation because you don't want your brother to be upset or embarrassed, which I'm sure would be the case with something as personal as this, but then again you feel obligated as his brother to protect him and his identity. To go online with something like that is very damaging not only in the short-term but it's on the internet forever and could potentially impact future job opportunities, etc.

As long as you can really try to explain how important it is that your parents stay calm and approach your brother with a caring heart and not a scared heart, it would be better.

It really depends on your family situation, like are your parents conservative or liberal? Before you even think about going to your parents, go to your brother. Apologize to him for invading his space, and say it was an accident, but make him feel as comfortable as possible. Don't convict him, just talk to him about it. Sexuality is something that one can't control, and he might even be trying to avoid it, but the thing is, you can't. If you and/or your parents are against it, don't blame him. If your brother can work up the courage to go to your parents, then let him do it. I think you should only do it if your parents aren't really conservative and if you don't think your brother would mind too much. You wouldn't want to ruin a sibling bond. I hope this helps! :)

It's up to your bro to tell anybody. You'd be deveststed if your parents and bro knew if you were gay so I'd be quiet about it. Let your bro make up his mind. Although if you feel that your bro is in any danger over the Internet then tell ur parents

I would say you should let your brother tell them when he feels the need to. Just because you found a conversation like this doesn't give your the right to bring him out of the closet before he is wanting to be. Put yourself in his shoes.

If you tell your parents you will ruin your relationship with him. Being gay doesn't mean its the end of the world. Just give him time.

he's probably really confused and insecure about his sexuality right now. i don't think you need to go to your parents. this is a very personal thing. if you feel comfortable and are close to your brother you could try talking to him. let him know its okay. i wouldn't go around saying this to people though.

You should tell your parents just to make sure. That would probably be the best thing to do in any situation like that.

Give him space you know he's gay accept it and let him come out to your parents on his own time