Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Do I have to have glass doors on my fireplace?

We moved into a REO home that was gutted by the former criminal owners. We have replaced all of the fixtures, appliances etc that they stole. The only thing I haven't replaced in the fireplace glass doors. We have two fireplaces and replacement doors are really expensive. I would like to be able to burn firewood this winter.

Update:

I would prefer to not replace the doors at all. Just run with the screens for now.

Update 2:

I should add that I live in California, don't need to heat the house with the furnace. Generally burn a fire to take the chill off the house and because I like fires. I have the original fireplace screens intact to protect against embers etc.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

you have glass its a fire code violation not to have glass

• 1 decade ago

Snapper is correct in his answer, but you have some options besides glass doors that have not been mentioned.

What glass doors WILL do is keep the furnace heated air in your home from being sucked up the flue when the fire is burning. They do not help your fireplace burn efficiently, they just help it not waste so much furnace heat.

Glass doors can also stop embers from popping out at you, but you have a screen (you mentioned) that will do that as well. they can also help keep the smoke in the firebox if that is an issue.

If you are considering glass doors becasue you have a weak or broken damper and there is a cold draft then use a chimney balloon to stop that issue. Glass doors do a terrible job of keeping out drafts. Even expensive and "tight" glass doors are only single pained and have too many leak points to be good at stopping drafts.

Source(s): Have worked in the hearth industry for years.
  • 1 decade ago

if you are asking do you need to replace the doors with original type door the answer is yes don't cut corners cosmetics are not the only thing this doors do they are what helps the fire place work and stay rregulated there are little vent sin the doors that you may not se rthey alow air to flow between the doors and fire to help keep heat away from the glass so to speak and they are heat proof glass that is why they are expenseive but how much are you and family worth but the doors and enjoy let me know what you deciced to do douglassmith1957@yahoo.com

• Dan H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

If you are going to burn a fire, you need something in front of the fireplace to keep everything inside the firebox as the fire burns.

Lots of fireplaces have mesh screens to do this, there are screens that you can simply place on the hearth in front of the firebox.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. you do not HAVE to have glass doors on your fireplace.

(I am assuming these are masonry (brick or stone) fireplaces.........)

It does however help seal the firebox so that heat from the home does not escape through the damper and up the flue when not in use.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Get some newspaper, moisten it slightly, dip it in the ash in the fireplace (no chunky bits) and clean the glass. You will be amazed. It works!!

• 7 years ago

challenging subject. browse into bing and yahoo. it could actually help!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.