CHASE asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Would you be offended if someone told your dog to shut up?

My neighbors dog barks all the time!

When I get in my car, barks, and when I get outside of my car, it barks.

Mowing the lawn? Barks.

It's really annoying.

One night I said, "Shut up!" and my neighbor got offended.

But, if she can't control her dog or at least teach it to be quiet, who else is?

Would you be offended if someone told your dog to "Shut up" or would you think nothing of it?

Most dog owners think that their dogs are their children so I can see the offense but at the same time it's a little ridiculous.

Favorite Answer

I'm usually the first one to tell them to hush, so if someone beat me to it, I'd be surprised...

They'd have a hard time saying it before I did, so no, I wouldn't be offended. I would be sorry that I hadn't shut my own dog up before it got to the point that someone else felt they had to. Barking dogs are extremely annoying and I cannot understand people who let them go on and on. I have a neighbour dog which barks for quite a while sometimes and I yell out the window to get it to shut up. It does. I have no idea when I do this whether my neighbour is home or not since the houses are quite far apart, though unfortunately not so far apart that I can't hear the dog, but I don't care if the owner hears me yell at her dog. She might take a hint.

• Ocimom

I've told many a dog to "shut up" when the barking got out of hand. Personally I don't really care if the owner likes it or not. They should be the ones to stop the dog from barking in the first place and if they don't do it, I will!

Um.... I would be annoyed, but I wouldn't be offended. Only because I can't imagine how yelling "shut up" is really going to quiet the dog. Like they understand that. lol I also feel like "shut up" is rude, so that's another reason I'd be annoyed.

I would apologize for my dog barking so excessively (I think I'd be embarrassed, not offended at that part of it), but I'd encourage you to simply build at least a "neighborly" relationship with the dog. My dog only barks when she feels like someone is a threat. She barks to alert me of a danger. That's her job! lol So if you took the time to pat her on the head and reassure her that you aren't a threat, she'd most likely stop barking at you. Just a thought. :)

Some people will feed the dog when dinner is over and they think that's different, but the dog can't tell when it's dinner time and will bug you until you stop dinner and then feed him. So think about the chain of behavior that you're rewarding here. Learn here https://tr.im/liHoN

Contrary to what you're being told here, feeding your dog "people food" is not what's making him beg. I'm a professional trainer and always feed my dog human quality training treats (cut up chicken, cheese, beef, turkey, etc.) and those of us trainers who do this never have a begging problem. Our dogs know that they get "paid" for correct behavior and never from the table. You could feed your dog dogfood from the table and have a begging problem. It isn't *what* you're feeding, but *when* and *where* you feed him that counts.

If you have a problem with begging, the odds are that you have other problems as well. Consider taking your dog to a basic training class to teach him to obey when you ask him to do something or stop doing something undesirable. Dogs that bark and pester you have learned bad habits-- from you! Going to a training class will help you unlearn those and help you get into better habits.

I think it's perfectly fine to shut someones dog up! Especially if they bark ALL THE TIME! I'm with ya there. My neighbors have a black lab that they never take care of! And he always barks for attention.they shouldn't be offended if they're dog is disturbing the peace. I wouldn't be offended if someone told my dog to hush! I'd be embarrassed that my dog was disturbing them, and I'd probably be the one apologizing.

I deeply resent any dog barking at me in my own yard, and I live next to someone with a number of undisciplined dogs, so I frequently tell them to stop barking. I dont say shut up, though....I tell them "stop!", or "go home!"

Maybe a different choice of words would work better. :o)

I dont allow my own dogs to bark for no reason, so someone else would probably not have any occasion to tell them to be quiet. But if my dogs were being obnoxious, I would not have a problem with it.

Source(s): lots o dogs

Tbh yea i think i would be annoyed if someone told my dog to shut up, simply because if any dog should shut up its the dog over the road coz its constantly barking day and night ive often told it to shutup it just happens cant really help it

No. my neighbor even has told us if her dogs get loud just tell them to shut up. And they love their dogs, they are sweet when you visit their house but will bark through the fence at you.

She was probably offended just because it's embarrassing for her. She knows her dog's a nuisance, but doesn't want to face it, so to say.

Lol @ Schnauzer Mom.

I agree with her though - i wouldn't be offended considering i KNOW how loud and obnoxious my dog can be. i try to keep her quiet but if i don't succeed it doesn't hurt for my neighbors to let me know.

See if there's any local ordinances about nuisance barking/noises. Maybe a visit from Animal Control will get your neighbor to do something about the barking.

Source(s): Owned by Mutt

People are stupid sometimes. I just ignore them. If the dog is being annoying and barking all the time i would tell it to be quiet too.