Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Niece spilled water on my laptop, now the power button turns on and off after a few seconds?

I dried it out and waited a day to turn it on. The charge light comes on and stays on until I turn on the laptop. The power light turns on then turns off after a second and so does the charge light. After a few seconds, the charge light comes back on. Am I totally boned or is there something I can do?

I took the hard drive out and put it back in and now it works!

• Maggie
    Favorite Answer

If computer stays on long enough, try to backup your hard drive immediately with a flash drive.

I'm guessing you don't have a replacement warranty for accidents....It's definitely worth asking about next time.

If possible contact manufacturer or store where u purchased it to see what your options are.

You didn't mention brand. Some buttons sit "on" the keypad & others are "sunken". If you have the latter more water got in & will take longer to dry out. It may keep shorting out or not work again.

It doesn't sound good, but if you have no other options, just turn keyboard over & let it dry on towel for at least a week. Use a can of pressurized air to help it dry.

Don't try to plug it in for at least a week.

Good luck & hope this helps!

Hmm , i maybe know what your are having there , It can be your PSU overload , that mean your PSU cant stand the NEED of your MoBo , so , the PSU will shut down if the OUTPUT is too high , If you say the Power button and Reset button did not work , try reconnect the plug , make sure you plug it correctly . It doesnt any related to the RAM thing , if your RAM is damaged , your monitor will appear something weird , like a vertical white bar , due to RAM malfuntion , the graphic cant be process nicely , so it will be a weird thing come out .

• MARK

Unfortunately for you, BSmith is right! There is a lot of sensitive circuitry in a computer, & they highly frown on the presence of water. I'm sure your motherboard is dead! It will cost as much, if not more to fix it, than to buy a new one!

Sorry 'bout your luck :-(

so go buy a new laptop you should not have tried power for at least a week