How Hot Should Water Heater Be?

Just moved in. Water heater set at highest 150 degrees. Set at 100 but was still scalding. Found it has two elements (top and bottom) and the other was also set to 150. Now I want to set both at a decent temp. 90 degrees is the lowest. Is that hot enough? I don't wash anything in hot water and don't need a hot shower; just warm. I don't want to keep a unit full of hot water that I won't use. How hot is a typical shower?

Thank you!

• jekin
    Favorite Answer

Experiment. Start at 100, you have to wait a day or two to let it cool down and use the existing hot. I set mine so with only the hot valve on, it feers a little too warm, then I can adjust to fit by turning on just a little cold. The dishwasher has its own heating element and they make DW detergent that doesn't require real hot water. I had a computer hooked to my meter and was amazed at how much time the WH was on before I set it back. Now it uses less than half the electricity. The top thermostat is for the top 5 gallons for quick recovery, then it switches to the bottom element to heat the whole tank, and to keep it warm. The bottom should be set a few degrees higher than the top. It also depends if your WH is in an unheated garage or a warm closet. Mine is in a closet, so only has to be 20-30 degrees warmer than the room., so it doesn't cool off much. The water you use of course comes in from outside at 50 degrees , so has to be heated, of course.

About 90-110

Because you are drawing off hot water faster than it can be heated, or the heater is not suitable for a shower. Try turning the hot water down a bit to see if it improves.

• 90 degree water will feel not even luke warm, it's less than body temperature. Water at 100 degrees is warm but hardly scalding, that's only a degree or two above body temperature. Even 150 degrees is not all that hot.

Sounds like you do not even need a water heater.

• bob w

I set all the ones I work on at 125. You have a faulty thermostat if it is scalding at 100. You can turn both thermostats up and down fully a few times and verify you hear a clicking sound. This is the contacts making and breaking. If you don't hear a click, replace the thermostat.

130 anything lower you risk long recovery time 130 is the highest you can go without risking being scalded. BTW Both t-stats should be the same temp

Source(s): I do it for a living

Hvac Experts say 105 dregrees. This is plenty hot enough but will not scald children, elderly and stupid ppl

anything over 120 you are wasting energy. If you are ver mixing in cold water while bathing, etc, doesn't it seem like maybe the water is still too hot?

ya 90 is fine that is what is it set at first day

Source(s): i asked my uncle he his electrician

KENTUCKY STATE PLUMBING CODE SAYS BETWEEN 114 TO 120 DEG. FER .

Source(s): WWW.ASKTHEPLUMBER.TK