Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

My baby is in the 97th percentile with her weight and height, what does that mean?

I took her to the doctor yesterday for a checkup and also her immunizations. I was told she is in the 99th percentile (the doctor wrote 97th in her blue book) with her weight and height. She said that's good but what does it actually mean? How do they work it out?

Favorite Answer

It's taken from a chart which shows the appropriate height and weight measurements for a child of that age. If you've ever seen a little chart that curves upward, that's where it comes from.

It simply means that your child is taller and weighs more than 97% of infants in her age group. Nothing to worry about unless your doctor mentions it.

My son is in the 95th for height and the 50th for weight. I don't know how many times I hear "Looks like you've got yourself a basketball player". LOL!

As the other answers have stated, 50 is average. 97 simply means that you child is growing. They keep track of the percentiles b/c if you come in for the next visit and her weight has dropped to 75th percentile, they're can try to figure out what would cause her weight to make that drop. My son started in the 80th for weight but acid reflux drove his weight down around 3 months. That's another story for another question I'm sure but as I said, I wouldn't stress a thing unless your pediatrician seems to think there is cause for worry. Congrats on your healthy baby! :)

Yes, a child can be in the 103 percentile, but that's just the doctor telling you his/her estimate. It's how the charts are listed. The percentiles are based on what are considered normal parameters. They do not include those who are outside normal parameters. If she is in the 103 percentile, they will be watching her for an overactive pituitary or other excessive growth issues, but they will no longer be comparing the child to a chart. It shouldn't be a surprise if your kids are in the top of the percentiles - your family may have very tall people. I know mine does.

The average child would be at the 50th percentile. Anything lower than that means that child is smaller than the "average". Anything higher than that means the child is larger than "average". Its all still within the normal range though, so its all good. In your situation, only 1% of all children are the same height and weight that she is for her age. My three have always been the same way. Its not a bad thing at all.

• ?

What Percentile Is My Baby

• Connie

They measure height and weight and use a graph combining the two plus there age to get the result. 97th percentile means she is at the top of the height and weight range for her age. eg.50th percentile is 'average' height and weight for age group.

My son was in the 95th percentile for everything when he was born and his doctor told me that it literally means that if you lined up 100 infants, odds are he would be larger than 95 of them. They create the chart using actual data collected, I believe.

1

Source(s): Ultimate Heartburn Remedy http://acidrefluxcure.netint.info/?1J1t

anything below 50 is small around 50 is average and above 90 is a little bigger. its good.you know you can ask these questions to her ped, dont feel bad because your asking no question is a dumb question when you are a mother concerning about her child.