Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

How do I stop living in a fantasy world?

I don't exactly LIVE in a fantasy world, but it's like there's always a movie playing in my head. It's never a real movie that I saw somewhere, but my own weird daydreams and fantasies.They alternate between something about vampires, shape shifters or one of those hospital shows. (and I DO take in a lot of those). Sometimes it's gruesome, sometimes more like a sexual fantasy.

I don't actually see or hallucinate the stuff, its all my own imagination. If I try, I can stop, but I have a nagging feeling all day that i need to go sit in a corner somewhere and daydream, or else I feel like my brain is on overload. I take hour-long showers every night and just stand there and 'go over' the images to make them go away.

It bothers me sometimes, like if I'm in class and I can't pay attention because there's some weird scene in my head. I've tried writing down the things that I imagine, but the stories never 'flow'. I just get snippets of vivid words, and putting it on paper feels really personal and embarrassing.

Lately this whole daydreaming thing is getting worse, and I don't think it's great for my mental health. How should I stop living in my own little fantasy world?

I do have an idea about where this came from... Maybe it started when I got too 'into' books. I learned to read when I was three, and when I read I don't even see the words, just the story. I can read a 300 page book in half an hour. When I read I can't hear or notice anything outside my little bubble, and feel really dizzy and weird when I'm done with a book.

Favorite Answer

I have this exact same behavior. There are a lot of us out there who have this problem. I'm pretty sure that you have what is called Maladaptive Daydreaming. It's a condition that causes obsessive daydreaming. Take a look at this website:

http://daydreamingdisorder.webs.com/

If you read about this person's behavior on this site, I think that it will sound very familiar to you.

There is also a group on Yahoo for this problem.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/maladaptiveda...

Best of luck and hope this all helps. You can write me if you have any more questions.

• Kellyn

I sometimes feel the same way. It sounds strange but the way I dealt with it was: If I was in class and wanted to daydream I would try to combine the two. Pretend that I was something else and somewhere else yet, still pay attention to the lesson. Because think about it, even in most fantasy worlds, they go to school and work, right?

Yes, you need to stay in the real world as much as possible. Its completely understandable to have your own fantasy world you go to when your highly stressed and daydreaming is a normal thing that everyone does, try sitting in your room in the dark at night and endulge in these fantasies for a little bit, it could possibly be that there is something on your mind locked in your sub-conscious and trying to push its way out (i.e. your body is trying to tell you something) and if need be and you think its become a serious problem thats interfering with your day to day life then go seek real medical help as soon as you can you can go into an outpatient clinic where they can evaluate you and talk with you to try to work out any problems that are going on in your head that you cant fix

You might write all of it down in order that it isn't bouncing round within your head, one of the finest writers have overactive imaginations, do you know that? You will have to cognizance on discovering some thing to free up your recommendations in. Hope that is helping :)

Watch a movie or something that is live action (Real People!)

It might help! and get your mind off it by sniffing honey xD think about how bad it smells