I'm trying to stay current with news and reading the news. Tips?

I don't get and can't afford the newspaper, but if I did, how much time do you devote to reading the news. What sections do you read? Online, what is most important to read?

Good answers so far. Also, I don't have tv :(

Favorite Answer

It's easy to stay well informed if you're an American. Libraries in most American cities provide free internet service.

As for which news source you should follow - It depends on your politics/worldview.

If you consider yourself an American "conservative"/Republican, I can't think of very many credible news sources (probably b/c I don't believe in just about anything that comes out of the mouth of a conservative). You might try the Wall Street Journal, The National Review or The Weekly Standard. Of course there's always Fox News as well, but I think people who get their news from Fox tend to be knuckle dragging, mouth breathers.

On the liberal/progressive/Democrat side, The New York Times is decent. I also like the Huffington Post. And you can check out people like Keith Olberman and Rachel Maddow on MSNBC.com.

The Daily Beast isn't half bad. It's fairly balanced featuring political writers from both the Right and the Left, but it does have a tiny patina of sensationalist journalism about it.

Hope that helps...

Do you have cable tv? I keep the front page of my local newspaper as a homepage. It's slanted more than I care for, but it's a start. Bankrate.com makes some predictions and suggestions on money matters, which at least tells you about jobs and the mindset of others.

Keep very close watch on all of the politicians. They are in it for their own purposes. If you hear about a Tea Party, check it out, just so you know. Pay very close attention to what these proposed bills are spending, and how to pay it back.