Tips on sound proofing basements?

I recently kidnapped my neighbors kid for tp'ing my house and locked him in my basement. However he won't shut up and am afraid hell alert the police. How do i soundproof the basement?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I find it works best when you play really loud music all the time to block out the kid's screaming. It's much cheaper than sound proofing.

• 1 decade ago

How you soundproof a basement depends on two things: how much you want to spend, and which sort of soundproofing you want. (Do you want to keep loud sounds in, or do you want to exclude outside sound and keep the basement quiet? Sometimes, for home recording, you want to do both!)

Sound gets through walls in one of two ways. It can be transmitted, which is what happens when sound waves cause the wall to vibrate, and that vibration moves air on the other side of the wall, creating new sound waves. It can also be leaked; sound waves can penetrate the wall through cracks or openings.

Preventing leakage is simple; just caulk or seal any openings to the outside, weatherstrip all doors and windows, and make sure the walls are essentially as airtight as possible.

Preventing transmission is much harder, because residential walls can be very thin and lightweight. There are three things we can do: block the the sound with mass, absorb it, or insulate.

Mass blocking works well. One way to keep a wall from transmitting very much sound is to make it heavy. We have to actually move the wall, or some part of it, in order for sound to be transmitted, and the heavier the wall is, the harder it is for sound waves to set it in motion. Several layers of 1/2" sheetrock (gypsum board) are a good start; sheetrock is heavy! If you want to make the wall even more solid, you can put sheets of neoprene rubber between the layers of sheetrock. The rubber is heavy too, and it forms an airtight barrier as well as absorbing sound waves.

Absorption is another way we can deal with sound. Special acoustic foams like Sonex and Auralex absorb any sound that strikes them. These foams also help keep sound from reflecting back from walls and into your space. In a pinch, other materials can be used too, such as open-cell foam, "egg carton" foam used on hospital beds, and even paper egg cartons.

Finally, we can use insulation to reduce the amount of sound that's transmitted. Tactics along these lines include blowing foam insulation into wall spaces, constructing additional walls and insulating behind them, or even just creating air spaces to act as insulation. Professional recording studios are often built using the "room within a room" technique, which is just what it sounds like ... a complete room is built inside the available space, and isolated from the outside walls to the maximum extent possible. Neoprene blocks can even be used to build a "floating floor" above the existing floor so that sound waves don't enter or exit the space that way.

Windows and doors with glass panes present a special problem. Glass transmits sound extremely well. Windows can often be "plugged": cut a piece of plywood the exact shape of the window opening, glue acoustic foam to that, and shove it into the window opening when you need to block sound. Doors can be weatherstripped, or you can install double doors (inside and outside doors in the same frame) to improve isolation.

How much of this you will end up doing is a function of how much you can spend and how important total isolation is to you. If you're just trying to keep your guitar amps from making your neighbors call the cops, an extra layer or two of sheetrock and some treatment of the doors and windows may be all you need.

• 1 decade ago

Better and quicker to just gag him with a dirty sock.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.