promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

Can a standard bosch automotive relay be used for switching AC current?

Basically i am doing a project where i want to switch a 10 amp, 110v load through the terminals 30 and 87 on a bosch automotive relay and i have a 110 volt to 12 volt transformer i want to use for pulling the relay in. is this safe to do? Note: it says on relay it is good for 30 amps.

Update:

Well the consequences of the contacts sticking are 10 amps worth or incandescent lamps staying on, and the relay will be in a metal box which will be supervised so if it overheated and melted/burnt it wouldnt hurt anything. I was mostly wondering if there is a large chance of failure.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Gary H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends on what the consequences are if the relay fails. For example, what happens if the electrical contacts overheat and start a fire or weld together so the current does not shut off when you want it to? You will probably be ok because most electrical components are designed with a substantial safety margin HOWEVER they design and rate devices for specific applications for good reasons. As soon as you go outside of what it was designed for, unless you happen to be a real expert, you are using up some unknown portion of that safety margin. If you are going to put the project together, run it for a few minutes or hours while you are standing there running it and then dissassemble it so no one else will ever use it, probably low risk. If the worse thing that could happen is that you burn up a $100 motor or kill yourself, that is one thing, if it fails and could kill an innocent bystander or a bus load of school kids, that is another.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Erika
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Bosch Automotive Relays

• 5 years ago

can i used Relay for switching 1 Amp current

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.