Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 1 decade ago

Does your T1D child test in the classroom or nurse's office?

I’m trying to cut back on the number of trips to the nurse. So I have two questions. First, does anyone here have a child that tests in the classroom?

She tests 3x while at school. They said she can’t test in the classroom (bodily fluids). On her 504 plan it says testing can be anywhere “including but not limited to... classroom” etc. This wasn’t written in, it was on the template they gave me. They say that’s just for an emergency though, but it’s not written that way. She is falling behind in a couple subjects, and testing in the classroom would eliminate time out of the classroom. Should I be pushing this?

Another suggestion I had was to skip the two snack time checks and just do lunch. Then she can do her pump in the classroom and the bolus just treat for the carbs. But they said that’s considered administration of medication and can only be done in the nurses office. Does your T1D child give themselves a bolus in the classroom? How old are they? Maybe this is just an elementary school rule.

She has the Accu-chek compact plus (I love it). She's 7, she'll stink at being inconspicuous. The nurse can't come to her- it's well justified. Long for here, but she's grounded with good reason.

Best Answer

Right now she tests in the nurses office because she goes to a very large high school (freshman). They told her she could test anywhere, but in our discussion with her and the nurses, we all agreed that it is best to find a private place and not do it in the class room. Not because of body fluid issues, but because some people do not react well to pin sticks and blood.

Before this year she went to a much smaller private school, and there she tested in the classroom and it was no big deal. But they didn't have a nurse or nurses office.

But she only tests one time - before lunch. She has a very good handle on how she feels though, and if she thinks she is low she just eats something.

I know your daughter is much younger and needs more supervision. But don't K's eat lunch really early?? Is three times necessary? I would say test once before lunch and then once in the afternoon - perhaps during a designated break time.

That is SO effed up!! Your child should not be missing class just because she needs to check her bG!

Get an Accucheck Compact Plus. It looks like a cellphone & fits in any cellphone case. Nobody even has to know what she's doing with it at her desk. Five seconds and it's done. No strips to mess with. It's all in drums. The pricker is attached to the unit. The unit uses very little blood & sucks it right out of the finger so you are left with a clean finger! One hand operation. Set it to silent mode. It is MAJOR stealthy!

The Accuchek Compact Plus is the best thing that's come around in a long time.

http://www.accu-chek.com/us/glucose-meters/compact...

edit: If she's 7, she's old enough to be inconspicuous. Go through a few mockup sessions. Leave the pricker on the unit. It never has to come off. Train her to use one hand to do the entire operation. The worst part of being T1 is being "different" than everyone, especially at that age. Everyone asks stupid questions and is overly concerned because they are ignorant. The best thing to do is blend in with everyone else. T1s have the technology now to do this. It is much more easier to blend in now that people carry all kinds of cellphones and blackberries on their hips.

If I were you, I wouldn't even involve the stupid nurse. At 7, your daughter knows more about being a T1 than any school nurse. Teach your daughter to blend in. It's not that hard nowadays.

Back in the day when I was in elementary school, when we still used to ride dinosaurs to school, I only tested about once a week. It was all about peeing on a stick back then.

That all seems a little silly to me. Instead of her missing out, can the nurse just come to her?

I'm alive Mozz! I just can't contribute much to your question...my brother (17) does not test at school, ever...he only tests in the am and before dinner. I also know he doesn't have any supplies at school because he thinks its a hastle and doesn't want people to treat him differently...he doesn't take it very seriously unfortunately.

Random blood sugar test. A blood sample will be taken at a random time. Blood sugar values are expressed in milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) or millimoles per liter (mmol/L). Regardless of when your child last ate, a random blood sugar level of 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) or higher suggests diabetes.

Glycated hemoglobin (A1C) test. This blood test indicates an average blood sugar level for the past two to three months. It works by measuring the percentage of blood sugar attached to hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying protein in red blood cells. The higher the blood sugar levels, the more hemoglobin that has sugar attached. An A1C level of 6.5 percent or higher on two separate tests indicates diabetes. A result between 6 and 6.5 percent is considered prediabetes, which indicates a high risk of developing diabetes.

Another test your doctor might use is a fasting blood sugar test. A blood sample will be taken after an overnight fast. A fasting blood sugar level less than 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L) is normal. A fasting blood sugar level from 100 to 125 mg/dL (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/L) is considered prediabetes. If it's 126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L) or higher on two separate tests, your child will be diagnosed with diabetes.