Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why does Michelle Obama have 26 tax payer funded assistants?

Never in the history of the White House has a First Lady spent so much on so many personal assistants, all paid from taxpayer dollars.

Hilary had three; Jackie Kennedy one; Laura Bush one; and prior to Mamie Eisenhower, social help came from the President's own pocket.

Michelle Obama has 26 - from makeup artist Ingrid Miles and hairstylist Johnny Wright to her "chief of staff" Susan Sher, whose salary is $172,200.00.

The First Lady does not get paid to serve as First Lady, and she doesn't perform any official duties. But this hasn't deterred her from hiring an unprecedented number of staffers to cater to every whim and satisfy every request in the midst of a great Recession.

Sort of makes one think the White House has been mistaken for theVersailles Court of Marie (let 'em eat cake) Antoinette, doesn't it?

$172,200 - Sher, Susan (CHIEF OF STAFF)

$140,000 - Frye, Jocelyn C. (DEPUTY ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT AND DIRECTOR OF POLICY AND PROJECTS FOR THE FIRST LADY)

$113,000 - Rogers, Desiree G. (SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT AND WHITE HOUSE SOCIAL SECRETARY)

$102,000 - Johnston, Camille Y. (SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT AND DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS FOR THE FIRST LADY)

Winter, Melissa E. (SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT AND DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF TO THE FIRST LADY)

$90,000 - Medina, David S. (DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF TO THE FIRST LADY)

$84,000 - Lelyveld, Catherine M. (DIRECTOR AND PRESS SECRETARY TO THE FIRST LADY)

$75,000 - Starkey, Frances M.. (DIRECTOR OF SCHEDULING AND ADVANCE FOR THE FIRST LADY)

$70,000 - Sanders, Trooper (DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF POLICY AND PROJECTS FOR THE FIRST LADY)

$65,000 - Burnough, Erinn J. (DEPUTY DIRECTOR AND DEPUTY SOCIAL SECRETARY)

Reinstein, Joseph B. (DEPUTY DIRECTOR AND DEPUTY SOCIAL SECRETARY)

$62,000 - Goodman, Jennifer R. (DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF SCHEDULING AND EVENTS COORDINATOR FOR THE FIRST LADY)

$60,000 - Fitts, Alan O. (DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF ADVANCE AND TRIP DIRECTOR FOR THE FIRST LADY)

$52,500 - Lewis, Dana M. (SPECIAL ASSISTANT AND PERSONAL AIDE TO THE FIRST LADY)

$52,500 - Mustaphi, Semonti M. (ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR AND DEPUTY PRESS SECRETARY TO THE FIRST LADY)

$50,000 - Jarvis, Kristen E. (SPECIAL ASSISTANT FOR SCHEDULING AND TRAVELING AIDE TO THE FIRST LADY)

$45,000 - Lechtenberg, Tyler A. (ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF CORRESPONDENCE FOR THE FIRST LADY)

$45,000 - Tubman, Samantha (DEPUTY ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR,SOCIAL OFFICE)

$40,000 - Boswell, Joseph J. (EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE CHIEF OF STAFF TO THE FIRST LADY)

$36,000 - Armbruster, Sally M (STAFF ASSISTANT TO THE SOCIAL SECRETARY)

Bookey, Natalie (STAFF ASSISTANT)

Jackson, Deilia A. (DEPUTY ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF CORRESPONDENCE FOR THE FIRST LADY)

This adds up to a whopping $1,600,700.00 and the amount doesnt include the elite benefit packages granted to the White House staff and their significant others (include same-sex partners). Nor does the figure take into account the salaries for the two additional full-time staff members mentioned by Mrs. Obamas Press Secretary nor the full time hair-dresser and makeup artist assigned to her. A guesstimate of the total salaries for Mrs. Obamas attendants is $1,750,00.00 plus the additional benefits.

Who actually APPROVES and allocates this funding???

GUESS WHO????"In my own life, in my own small way, I have tried to give back to this country that has given me so much," she said. "See, thats why I left a job at a big law firm for a career in public service," Michelle Obama.

Miz Michelle, who requires 26 personal assistants at a cost of $1,750,00.00 plus change- - - the only change American taxpayers can believe in!!!

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

And other than looking good sleeveless, what humanitarian cause has she championed? (NONE)

ALL 1st ladies chose a cause to improve the country.

Michelle needs $2MILLION annually in staff and contributes NOTHING to America other than a fashion statement! (She doesnt' even watch her OWN kids...her mom does....who also lives with them). Michelles' staff doesn't include her hair or make-up stylist. The list for Laura is one of many floating around on the internet, all with different figures. I wouldn't rely on it's accuracy without a source listed AND researched. The only site I saw that (now) lists a source showed Michelles staff cost 40% MORE than Laura's annually.

Considering we are at 10% unemployment, and this president ran on the premise that he would ELIMINATE wasteful spending, (but instead has outspent EVERY other president in history collectively in 10 short months), you'd think we'd see a reduction in spending, not an increase, esp. of these kinds of percentages.

Also I don't believe the economy is improving - I know of MORE, not LESS people who are out of work...again, someone is fudging the numbers ...much like our national deficit which they claim is about 10% of what it actually IS.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why does Michelle Obama have 26 tax payer funded assistants?

Never in the history of the White House has a First Lady spent so much on so many personal assistants, all paid from taxpayer dollars.

Hilary had three; Jackie Kennedy one; Laura Bush one; and prior to Mamie Eisenhower, social help came from the President's own pocket.

Michelle Obama has...

Source(s): michelle obama 26 tax payer funded assistants: https://biturl.im/RQC33
  • 6 years ago

Has Yahoo! Answers become a Koch-funded mouthpiece?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/firstlady.asp

• Jimbo3335 years agoReport

Snopes is biased, try FactCheck.org. Reality is not as bad as OP would have it.

• 6 years ago

Educate yourself America...i am no fan of DC politics but these facts are completely misleading and inaccurate

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Your link doesn't show how many all the other First Ladies had, because they had just as many if not MORE. This nonsense was debunked last week btw. The thing that amazes me is, you Cons now criticize and care about things you NEVER HAVE with the other 43 presidents and First ladies. I guess it just kills ya to see a black woman with power and control doesn't it? Walk it off kid, you'll get over it.

• Puddy
    Lv 5
    6 years ago

The same reason why conserve POTUS' wives had as many, and in most cases, more.

• 6 years ago

Bunch of damn lemmings...all of you. You all believe the crap you want to believe to make your side of the argument seem valid. We are failing as a country because nobody seeks the truth anymore. I am ashamed to call you my countrymen.

• What's the first thing a college kid does when he enters the NBA? SAME THING! They have to hire their "posse" to do something.

MC Hammer also hired all his flunky buddies. They were like leeches on him until he went bankrupt.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Figures! Why am I not surprised in the slightest?

Thanks for pointing out more waste of our hard earned tax dollars. Things WILL change in 2010 and 2012, bank on it (if you have any of your own $ left).

• Kevin
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

the obama's have an elitist mentality and now feel they must be pampered because they are no longer able to do for themselves... that's why obama has 30+ czars and michelle 20+ assistants

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.