Would it bother you if we no longer had the U.S. Postal Service?

I would hate to lose this service that we have had all our lives. I appreciate my email. It really bothers me that fewer people use the mail service and post offices are closing.

Monty - I mail packages through the Post Office.

• Dinah
    Favorite Answer

It sure would, yes. There are people who don't have or want computers, or can't afford them. There are the small businesses who'd have to invest in one, and might have to go under for that reason. There are people who don't want to pay bills online. There is no substitute for a sympathy card. Some shopping sites would have to pull the plug to replace everything formerly in catalogues. Millions of postal workers would lose employment, and most sign on for the retirement and holidays. And reasons beyond these.

• jonds

I retired from the Postal Service and would hate to lose this free service. I live in a rural area and there are no UPS or Fed Ex stores in my area but I have access to 16 different Post Offices within a 25 mile radius. I can see a future with five day delivery and the closings of many small offices.

It would bother me greatly, as I STILL rely on the service for hard copy documents, both, going out and coming in. I don't see private services, such as UPS, FedEx and others delivering ANYTHING across the country for under fifty cents.

Now, I don't like the volume of junk mail, which is rarely read and wastes a LOT of living trees to create, but I still get lots of junk email which my spam filters miss. I guess that will still continue.

As far as post offices closing, that CAN be a bit inconvenient for some people, but this won't stop the postal service, the BULK of which is STILL home delivery.

I guess this prompts the question, "WHY does it bother you that fewer people us the mail service?"

• -

I imagine UPS would expand and have pickup/drop off centers in the smaller cities. The closest one right now is over 30 miles through heavy traffic right now. I would miss the convenience of getting mail each weekday. I wonder how competitive the independent delivery services would be and if they would charge extra to drive way out in the boonies to deliver a few pieces of mail, whereas the USPS does not.

I use mail service, don't ever want to receive or pay bills, especially utility bills, online and won't settle for automatic check-withdrawal for those either. I always use USPS to send packages, their flat-rate packages are a very good deal especially for overseas shipping.

• jackie

Yes I pay all my bills by mail and would give up my computer before the post office.I know big brother wants us to have everything on line so they can track everything we do but I'lll go out kicking and screaming. I also get mail everyday so why do they say no one is using the mail? It would really help if those at the top wouldn't be paid such outrageous salaries and they paid the people who are actually doing the work at the post offices.

• Holly

I would miss the mail, as I live in the country, but I know there is a lot of unnecessary waste and it needs to be overhauled. A relative works in a post office and the stress is taking it's toll on him. Every few months they change the whole routine and add more or take away other duties, it's just something all the time. It's just one more government service that needs realistic changes.

• Milou

My husband retired from the U.S. Post Office and I would hate to lose this service. I just love going to the mail box at Christmases and other occasions to see what I got and there is nothing like getting a hand written letter it is so much for personal.

• Miz D

Yes, I would be very upset if we no longer had the U.S. Postal Service. I still write letters and mail birthday cards. Also send all my packages by the USPS.

For sure!

With most of our family living out of state, I count on the Post Office for getting cards and gifts to them

Saturday I went down to the P.O. and mailed off a box of Halloween goodies to my dad up in NY, and he had it on Monday! (And compared to Fed Ex, the price is much more reasonable...especially when using the Flat Rate boxes.)

Sure, the price of stamps for letters has gone up, but the over-all service has always been reliable and dependable. I'd definitely be in a dilemma without it.

.

I depend on our postal services and use post offices on our travels to send cards and letters to friends and relatives. I look forward to the mailman going each day. We have had three regular mail men during our time here the last 40 yrs. And we know all three as longtime friends.