American parents, your opinion on Universal Health Care?

** I asked this in government and didn't get vary many responses** I'm curious about the debate about universal health care, and I'm trying to get more information about it. I'm from Canada, so I'm used to the health care. I think its nice not having to worry about money if you were involved... show more ** I asked this in government and didn't get vary many responses**

I'm curious about the debate about universal health care, and I'm trying to get more information about it.
I'm from Canada, so I'm used to the health care. I think its nice not having to worry about money if you were involved in a car crash, or come down with a serious illness that required hospitalization.
So I'm wondering why so many people seem to be against it in the states?
I can understand if some people are worried about wait times increasing, but its not THAT bad, if its an emergency you get the proper tests done right away, if its a non-emergency then you wait. From the time my doctor ordered my CT scan, it took 30 days for it to be done.
Any input is appreciated.
Update: oops...I meant Lee lol sorry
Update 2: Indumuk - Coming from a country who has UHC, going to your regular doctor does not increase your wait time. If I were to go to ER with a say cold or a splinter then I would be waiting hours, only because it goes by who needs help first. If you use ER's like they are supposed to be used (ie: for actual... show more Indumuk - Coming from a country who has UHC, going to your regular doctor does not increase your wait time. If I were to go to ER with a say cold or a splinter then I would be waiting hours, only because it goes by who needs help first. If you use ER's like they are supposed to be used (ie: for actual emergencies) then you will not be waiting hours.
Update 3: I'm also wondering about this "buying thousands of pills and reselling them" Where I'm from anyway, universal health care doesn't cover prescriptions. That is the only part that the patient pays for themselves.
Update 4: MT - "Do you really think the great many of us against nationalized healthcare are all selfish, greedy people that want to see other people die?" I don't think that at all. I'm just trying to understand everyone's point of view. Here UHC works amazingly well, an I was wondering why a lot of... show more MT - "Do you really think the great many of us against nationalized healthcare are all selfish, greedy people that want to see other people die?" I don't think that at all. I'm just trying to understand everyone's point of view. Here UHC works amazingly well, an I was wondering why a lot of people seem to be against it.