Tennis Fan asked in SportsTennis · 1 decade ago

Who's qualified for WTA's Road To Bali?

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/page/RoadToBali...

I don't get the whole concept.

Personally I think it should be players ranked 9-20 in the Race to the Championships..

• Favorite Answer

Vera Zvonareva

Marion Bartoli

Yanina Wickmayer

Sam Stosur

Anabel Medina Garrigues

Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez

Melinda Czink

Shahar Peer

Aravane Rezai

Agnes Szavay

and 2 wild cards (i'm guessing Mirza will be one :)

I actually like the idea of the "Road to Bali" because it really allows players who aren't nessecarily the best, some recognition. Plus it might get more people involved in entering more International Tournaments, even though they aren't the most prestigious events. But I totally understand where your coming from too.

Hmm,I think the criteria to qualify for Bali is be one of the 10 highest ranked players that have won at least one International tournament during the year and are not participating in the WTA year end Championships.

Zvonareva technically has qualified for Bali,but I'm not sure if she'll be playing in Bali because she'll be in Doha as an alternate. Pennetta has also qualified but she stated she will not be playing due to her participation in the Fed Cup.

Yeah,I feel it should consist of players ranked after the top 8 who have qualified for Doha,but I guess the criteria is to give more opportunities to players not so highly ranked,yet have worked hard this year to win more prize money than ever,so in a way it seems fair and nice to reward less known players for their efforts.

So far,players who have qualified for Bali include Zvonareva,Bartoli,Stosur,

Wickmayer,Medina Garrigues,Martinez Sanchez,Pe'er,Czink,Szavay and Rezai.

They did offer Maria Sharapova and Kim Clijsters (who didn't play any International tournaments unlike those who qualified for Bali) wildcard spots in Bali, but both of them refused to participate.