Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Was Jesus smoking something funny when he said: if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off?

aside from the debate over the legitimacy of the 'sin' concept....who believes a body part can cause wrongdoing?

so mutilate yourself, yea thats real smart

Best Answer

He was smoking pot with the Mayans at the time.

I hope you are trying to be funny. If not, have you ever heard of metaphors? Jesus said that in order to show the real problem with mankind was not their eyes or their hands, but their hearts (the seat of the will, emotion and mind). That is why Jesus claims to cleanse our hearts from sin. Cutting off a limb would not solve the heart problem, only a heart transplant by God can solve the problem.

• Julia

Well, since what you are talking about was in one of Jesus' parables, I guess you never read shakespeare either. Jesus wasn't speaking literally, he was speaking figuratively.

Here's what he was saying.

If you are putting yourself in a situation that you know will cause you to sin, stop. Get out of it. Leave it behind and never go back.

He didn't want anyone to really cut off their hands. Spritually, yes, but not physically.

Think about it.

Are you smart enough to realize figurative speech? Your hate sin so much that you would cut your hand off to prove that point...sin should weigh so heavy on a believer!

It is better to live a life which leads to salvation and have had your hand cut off than to live a life condemned to damnation. Is that hard to understand?

Jesus was just emphasizing that the path to salvation is not always easy and will require saccrifice.

• Rene

Look at it in context. It appears He was speaking of masturbation...

Matthew 5:27-30 (New International Version)

27"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.'[a] 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

He was trying to illustrate how bad hell was so people would put their faith into Him. Please pray a sincere prayer with all of your heart admitting to Jesus you are a sinner. Have full faith that His blood pays off all of your sins and accept His gift of everlasting life. I pray that God blesses you with peace. Amen.

If anyone really took this in a literal sense, they would cut off their heads because you're brain made you do it...

• 3 in 1

It was a metaphor! And no Jesus wasn't smoking anything.

Oh well me and him went to the club that night and met up with some people we all got wasted and smoked some marijuana.

Not everything in the Bible is meant literally. One can know which passages should be taken literally, and which should not, by praying the rosary regularly. See the following promises.

The rosary is explained here:

http://www.medjugorje.org/rosary.htm

The fifteen promises of Mary to Christians who recite the rosary:

1. Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary shall receive signal graces.

2. I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.

3. The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against Hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.

4. It will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.

5. The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall not perish.

6. Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its sacred mysteries, shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just, he shall remain in the grace of God and become worthy of eternal life.

7. Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the Sacraments of the Church.

8. Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces; at the moment of death, they shall participate in the merits of the saints in Paradise.

9. I shall deliver from Purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.

10. The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in Heaven.

11. You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.

12. All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.

13. I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire Celestial Court during their life and at the hour of death.

14. All who recite the Rosary are my sons, and brothers of my only Son, Jesus Christ.

15. Devotion to my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.

God bless!

Dave