Computer question. What is RAM?

I've been looking at The Sims 3, including the system requirements and was just wondering what RAM is?? As i keep reading reviews and they say things like: "To the people thinking of buying the game make sure your computer has at least 1gb of ram because I have half of a ram and it is so slow its... show more I've been looking at The Sims 3, including the system requirements and was just wondering what RAM is?? As i keep reading reviews and they say things like:

"To the people thinking of buying the game make sure your computer has at least 1gb of ram because I have half of a ram and it is so slow its almost impossible to play."

Just wonrdering, as i dont want to pay alot of money for the game, and it not work on my laptop. I dont really know anything about computers and laptop so, try not to be too technical if you can. (: