Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

Do you think coach Todd Haley lacks credibility with his players? He never played high school or college ball.?

He never played high school or college football. Why should someone who never played in high school or college coach in the NFL?

Favorite Answer

I can answer that. Coaching and Playing are TWO different things. I never played a down of high school or college football yet I am coaching a sport in the collegiate level. Charley Weiss and Mike Leech never played a down either and look at them. As long as you contribute yourself as a student of a sport, you don't have to have played to Coach. Sure, it might help build connections, but it isn't neccessary. Larry Johnson just can't back up his talk because he is a over rated RB on a rebuilding team

Just know going in that it WILL be difficult. I attempted the same thing as a catcher and played a total of 8 games (2 starts because of an injury). A catcher is a hotter commodity than a pitcher (no offense) unfortunately so don't go in with high hopes but at the same time don't go in expecting to fail. As a junior now in high school you have 2 seasons to show your coach what you can do which is really your biggest advantage. Here's what i would do (and did): -talk to you assistant coach (if you have one) about your concerns. If you make the team it means they aren't doing you a favor and you have something they like. -think about taking up a different position. Not switching positions completely but just try to be somewhat of a utility guy. More positions=more opportunity (Mark DeRosa for example). I'd suggest middle infield (SS, 2B) or the outfield -finish out the summer working on your cardio, agility BUNTING, and hitting. A fast runner who puts the bat on the ball at the very least is very useful player in designated runner or pinch runner/hitter and defense. If you know someone reliable who plays football (possibly a running back or cornerback/safety) and ask him to show you agility drills that he does (very useful). Learn to love pepper and wall ball - With your size (5'7 buck 33) try not to focus on velocity so much and work on movement on your pitches. Learn to become a finesse pitcher (Greg Maddux, Mike Mussina, Tom Glavine, Roy Halladay etc.) Everyone that looks like him wants to be Tim Lincecum. A high 90's fastball and sick high 80's breaking ball is going to destroy your arm. He's already beginning to loose velocity and movement in his pitches after 4 years pro. With your size if you wanna be a pitcher you wanna be the workhorse who can pitch in every inning of every game without losing the quality of your stuff so learn to love long toss (with both a baseball and a football to build arm strength) and icing your arm afterward so you don't create future arm issues (this is the mistake I made that kinda screwed me). Develop a good change up and be able to locate it. You'll need more than a fastball and curveball to be successful. -Sorry about the book but here's the most important. When you get to college, concentrate on the education. Make sure you do the work and get good grades. College is the necessity but playing ball is a privilege. You don't get the grades you don't get the uniform dude. Watch the movie Rudy (if you haven't seen it). That movie is all about your situation just it's a football flick. Just remember NEVER GIVE UP. The more heart you show the more interested the coaches and scouts will want to see what your all about. Be annoying to the coaches, ask questions about the game. That shows your interest in the game and you wanna know everything. I hope everything works out for ya man I really do. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who has or will travel down the same road I did. Make your dreams come true dude it's all on you. So when you think your at your limit, push yourself just a little bit farther and show EVERYONE what giving 120% is really about. See ya in the Show sometime Rook. Make your dreams come true!