has Bowers v. Evans been over thrown?

has Bower v. Evans been over thrown?

what is the current stand point of Bower v. Hardwick.. sorry got the wrong case above

Best Answer

Bowers v. Hardwick, 478 U.S. 186 (1986), was a United States Supreme Court decision that upheld the constitutionality of a Georgia sodomy law that criminalized oral and anal sex in private between consenting adults. Seventeen years later the Supreme Court directly overruled Bowers in Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. 558 (2003), and held that such laws are unconstitutional. In overruling Bowers v. Hardwick, the 2003 Court stated that "Bowers was not correct when it was decided, and it is not correct today."

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowers_v._Hardwick

Can you refresh my memory on the rule of law in that case. It has been a long time, but from what I remember, whe spent some time on this case, so it probably is good law or very interesting bad law. Otherwise, we wouldn't be readiing it in law school anymore. For my money, I am guessing it is good law just because it would be too big of a deal for it to get over turned and not make the news. But serioulsy, what are the facts?

That guy above me is exactly right. Bowers as been overturned, Lawrence overturned the sodomy laws. Although you will still find state codes with sodomy laws still in the code, it is federally illegal for the state to enforce them.