Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Will "hate crime" legislation in the USA get us to where the UK is today?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1222861/Pe...

After witnessing a gay pride march, committed Christian Pauline Howe wrote to the council to complain that the event had been allowed to go ahead.

But instead of a simple acknowledgement, she received a letter warning her she might be guilty of a hate crime and that the matter had been passed to police.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1222861/Pe...

Isn't all crime a "hate crime"?

Favorite Answer

Welcome to a Brave New World,where any opinion which goes against the Government accepted guidelines becomes a criminal offense.We are most certainly headed in this direction,and when we get there Free Speech will die just as it is dying in the UK.

Once they can limit Speech based on these criteria,they will then use similar laws to silence Political Speech.Once you have accepted Censorship for the "common good",it's only a matter of time before everything is Censored.

I agree with another answerer,why did we help them defeat Hitler? They are slowly enslaving themselves all over again.Hitler would be so proud.

RWE

It is a law they want to pass that is based on intent. The laws should EQUALLY PROTECT ALL not single out some as being a special treated class of citizens. You touch me or harm me then you should pay the same punishment no matter your reasoning for doing do it. The behavior or end resulting crime should be treated the same no matter who the victim is. If this law is passed, as it has in other countries, then Freedom of Speech may be infringed upon. There are many behaviors that the Bible says are wrong and like the Bible I should be able to express those opinions respectfully but freely. Homosexual behavior is one of those behaviors but not the only one. Not sure why you feel that disagreement or taking a stand for Biblical issues equates with Hypocrisy and or hate?

I think all "Hate Crime" laws need to be abolished. How is it worse for a gay man, a female, black person, brown, person, etc to be attacked, harmed or killed than it is for a straight white man? Am I not just as injured and/or dead as the other would be? But somehow it is more important to protect these other groups.

• ?

Yup the USA will love the PC brigade , Biggest bunch of brain dead lunatics in the whole world . Just a little snippet one of their latest edicts british policemen must be banned from saying evening all . The mind boggles.Ever pervert and foreigner can slag of our history culture way of life without a peep from the PC brigade, but any body dares to criticise them and down they come like a ton of bricks. The sooner we can clamp them all in the stocks and throw dung at them the better.

Crime is a hate of the law, we do not need special protections for sexual offenders or sexual deviants. in my straight Christian opinion

LIberals always accuse people who think differently of being racist, homophobic or bigots.

The spirits of Hitler, Stalin and Mao are very much alive in liberal politicians.

• Mike S

I can certainly see the liberals trying to go that way. I believe it has already started in this country. Good luck to you

That would never happen in the US.

We won't be having pensioners any time soon here.

• i wonder if these same multiculturalist twits that piss and moan for more "hate crimes" legislation will apply these very same standards to muslims...after all, islam has an ugly history of discrimination and hatred towards gays.

my guess is that they won't

I don't understand what makes a hate crime. If you and I get into a fight and I whip your butt. Isn't it evident that I hate you. I should be because I do.