Has the Qu'ran ever been translated into modern Arabic? Can most Arabs read Classical Arabic?

Update:

Thanks for your answers, but I am still curious. I am not talking about the difference between formal Arabic and colloquial, but rather Modern and Classical. The Qur'an is written in Classical Arabic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_Arabic) while most newspapers, for example, are written in Modern Standard Arabic. How different are these two languages, and if they are different, has there ever been a translation of the Qur'an into Modern Standard Arabic?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Genie
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The classical Arabic of the Quran and the Modern Standard Formal Arabic are actually extremely close. I've never seen an attempt to "translate" (that word would be too strong already) the Quran from classical to Modern Standard Arabic - anyone who understand the latter will have next to no problems understanding the Quran (except for a few idiosyncrasies - some words and grammatical constructions). The only sense in which the Quran has been "translated" into Modern Standard Arabic is in books written for children that simplify the stories found in the Quran and use simpler language.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

If you want to understand Islam you must read the Quran and the Hadith (stories of the prophet that go with it) in chronological In your mother language. The Quran is not in any kind of order and you can not understand it without the stories of the prophet that go with it. There are many resources with many translations on the Internet. There are "tasfir" in English that explain the Quran verses. These are islamic books that explain the otherwise confusing Quran. Don't take anyone's word for it. Read them yourself. Why would you want to read something in Arabic if you can't read it? Then you have to depend on people to tell you what it says.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The arabic of the Quran is not a classical language like the english of shakespear..ofcourse all arabs can read and understand every word of the Quran..the language of Quran is so easy that even non-arabs with little knowledge of arabic can understand it..

So there is no question of 'translating' it into modern arabic

there is little difference between modern arabic and classical arabic

Source(s): i am a Non-arab but i understand the Quran very well
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You mean the formal arabic and dialect Arabic. Even though we speak dialect we can understand the formal. This is the Arabic Christian Bible too is written like Qur'an, but everyone Arabic can still understand.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's just arabic and you read it the same way..... as far as i know the 'modern' arabic that you are talking about isn't really written but is just spoken...very different pronunciations though.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.