How to convert dvd to a ps3 compatible format?

I have about 1 terabyte of ripped movies that are about 4 gigs in size, saved on a external Hard drive, how can I convert them into a smaller size that my ps3 can play,. Please don't tell me about streaming things, I like to do things manually, theres nothing that streaming software can do that a simple copy... show more I have about 1 terabyte of ripped movies that are about 4 gigs in size, saved on a external Hard drive, how can I convert them into a smaller size that my ps3 can play,. Please don't tell me about streaming things, I like to do things manually, theres nothing that streaming software can do that a simple copy paste with a USB drive can't.
Update: Okay, there have been some good answers, but agian I don't want to know about media servers, I just want to know about the best way to convert dvd files you know(bup, vob, ifo) into a ps3 compatible format.